Stocking Help Again Please, & Dwarf Synodontis Petricola?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlakeyBiscuit3.14

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to post to much? To ask too many questions? I think I may be there....lol

Anyway! I'm working (very slowly) on stocking my new 29G aquarium. I thought that I had cycled properly...but now I'm wondering if maybe I did not....
But I currently have 6 bloodfin tetra and 3 ghost shrimp that I just recently added in my tank.

My water is soft, but very alkaline with a pH of 8.3. (Yes, it is my water not my tank, I have very hard well water, and the only reason the water is soft is because of our water softener).

I have very fine sand as a substrate, along with driftwood, a few hide-y holes, and live plants for decor.

My biggest concern is what I should get as a bottom feeder... I love corydoras, but I am worried about the stress they may be under with my high pH (I have already asked about this issue in previous posts, but at that time I wasn't aware that my pH was so high as 8.3). I have recently looked into synodontis (particularly dwarf synodontis petricola), as they handle the high pH better, but don't really know much about them and am having a harder time finding info on them than the cories. I really, really, REALLY love catfish (they are just so cute!!!), so I definitely want some for my tank.

I was also thinking of getting a few platies.... but yes, these additions are all down the road, after I've made sure that the tank is staying stable with nitrogen cycle, water changes, activity levels, and so forth.

So, here are my questions (any help appreciated!!):

1. Has anyone here kept dwarf synodontis petricola (DSP)?
2. Would it be okay to keep 3 DSP in a tank my size?
3. Would the DSP eat my tetras when full grown?
4. Could I keep DSP and corries together?
5. Do you guys have any other suggestions for a small catfish that can handle high pH and won't eat my other fish?
6. If I got 2 female and 1 male platy, do you think that a DSP would keep the fry population under control?
7. If I wanted ultimately 8 bloodfin tetra and 3 platies for the upper and middle ranges of the tank, would my tank be too full for a school of bottom dwellers?
8. Opinions on otocinclus for my tank?
9. How do I know my bloodfin M/F ratio and if I will need to worry about bloodfin fry? Many sources list them as easy reproducers
10. Will any of the fish I'm interested in devour my ghost shrimp? They are not a must for my tank, but they're fun and would like if they could stay :)
11. Any other high pH community fish suggestions are appreciated as well!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back