April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

ReynaDeana

Reaction score
Hey guys, Iā€™m getting my largest tank yet soon, and Iā€™m hoping I can snag a 75 gallon, but Iā€™m having trouble finding one for a reasonable price. Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll have to settle for a 30 gallon. Iā€™ve completely fallen in love with my dwarf Gourami I received after a friend of mine couldnā€™t keep him. I would like to upgrade my DG to the 30, as well as keep more Gourami but Iā€™m completely lost as to which Gourami to keep in the tank. I also happen to have another dwarf gourami in a separate tank, and I believe itā€™s a female. I would like to keep her in the 30 too. I guess my question is... What other gourami could I keep with my 2 dwarf gourami in a 30 gallon tank? (If at all possible.)

This is possible but needs to be well thought out. Gourami are like cichlids in many of their inherent behaviours and traits, such as male territorial aggression. The level varies among species, and sometimes individuals within a species.

The first thing to determine is if your two dwarf gourami will tolerate each other; they may or may not. If both are female, the chance is better that they will get along. If they are male and female, they may get along. It sounds as if you have separate quarters now, so you can always fall back on this if it doesn't work out.

As for other gourami species...with one or two dwarfs in a 30g, this is not easy. Same problem, you can't foretell how the present two dwarfs may fare, together or individually. The other problem with dwarf gourami is the iridovirus, an untreatable viral infection they can carry (without being themselves infected) and it may show up down the road.

If things go well, you would not want more than one male with one or possibly more females.

Other gourami species are possible in a 30g, but not with the dwarfs. Like cichlids, gourami species should not be combined, except in very large tanks and then only with some species.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back