Stocking for new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jonsmithy

Reaction score
So I've got my new tank up and running I've been doing a fishless cycle and doing my research the tank is about 30 liters and my hardness is 3.5 German degrees, I was tu inking of getting 6 otocinclus vestitus catfish and 6 cherry shrimp but is my tank to soft for cherry shrimp ? And is it too small for otos? Thanks guys in advance

there is firstly the choice of a betta. but you could maybe do dwarf puffers 3 max in that size tank.

one could also do a guppy tank(males only else you will end up with hundreds of babies)

The water parameters (GH anyway) are OK for Otocinclus vestitus. What is the pH? Tank size is OK for a group of six otos.

Shrimp need calcium and magnesium in the water, thus higher GH, but there are a few that are said to be soft water tolerant. I don't know if cherry shrimp are in this group, so will let others comment.

There are some other "nano" type fish that would work here, with the soft water and with otos, if interested.

Byron.

there is firstly the choice of a betta. but you could maybe do dwarf puffers 3 max in that size tank.

I like the look of bettas but would like to keep several fish, and I think bettas can be agressive but I definitely considered them, dwarf puffers as well not great with shrimp is what I saw

one could also do a guppy tank(males only else you will end up with hundreds of babies)

I thought guppies were hardwater and I did consider them but my water is soft

The water parameters (GH anyway) are OK for Otocinclus vestitus. What is the pH? Tank size is OK for a group of six otos.

Shrimp need calcium and magnesium in the water, thus higher GH, but there are a few that are said to be soft water tolerant. I don't know if cherry shrimp are in this group, so will let others comment.

There are some other "nano" type fish that would work here, with the soft water and with otos, if interested.

Byron.

My pH is fairly neutral around 7 to 7.2, is that OK? I would like to keep shrimp which is why I chose ottos as they are 100% shrimp safe. If my hardness isn't right for cherries I could go with another Nano fish like tetras in a group of 7 maybe but that could be over stocking, do you know any other Nano fish? Perhaps dwarf or sparkling gourami.

First, parameters involves GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH. There is also temperature but that we can easily adjust.

GH is the most important when it comes to fish (and shrimp), as this is the level of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water. I'll leave KH to avoid complicating things too much, but generally it is an indication of how much "buffering" the pH will have, preventing fluctuations. The pH is important, but provided it is not too extreme (either way) or fluctuating, it is of less importance overall. And pH is usually tied to the GH/KH.

A pH of 7 to 7.2 is very slightly basic (7.0 being neutral, with basic above and acidic below). Your GH is low, soft to very soft, and usually the KH is similar so here the pH will likely lower on thee acidic side once the tank is established with fish. So soft water fish, most of whom prefer slightly acidic pH, will be fine.

Avoid moderately hard to hard water fish, being all livebearers along with a few other species. Most nano type fish will be soft water species, with a few exceptions.

As I said before, some shrimp may work, I'll leave that. As for fish, otos are fine. The pygmy sparkling gourami will work, I would suggest a group of 3. This fish is a micro-predator feeding on small insects, zoo plankton and invertebrates, so small shrimp would be seen as food, but this fish has a small mouth so larger shrimp may manage but not any young probably. Forget the dwarf gourami, there are health issues and a larger space would be preferable anyway.

Nano fish include Ember Tetra, the various dwarf rasbora in the genus Boraras, one of the dwarf cory species like Corydoras pygmaeus.

First, parameters involves GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH. There is also temperature but that we can easily adjust.

GH is the most important when it comes to fish (and shrimp), as this is the level of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water. I'll leave KH to avoid complicating things too much, but generally it is an indication of how much "buffering" the pH will have, preventing fluctuations. The pH is important, but provided it is not too extreme (either way) or fluctuating, it is of less importance overall. And pH is usually tied to the GH/KH.

A pH of 7 to 7.2 is very slightly basic (7.0 being neutral, with basic above and acidic below). Your GH is low, soft to very soft, and usually the KH is similar so here the pH will likely lower on thee acidic side once the tank is established with fish. So soft water fish, most of whom prefer slightly acidic pH, will be fine.

Avoid moderately hard to hard water fish, being all livebearers along with a few other species. Most nano type fish will be soft water species, with a few exceptions.

As I said before, some shrimp may work, I'll leave that. As for fish, otos are fine. The pygmy sparkling gourami will work, I would suggest a group of 3. This fish is a micro-predator feeding on small insects, zoo plankton and invertebrates, so small shrimp would be seen as food, but this fish has a small mouth so larger shrimp may manage but not any young probably. Forget the dwarf gourami, there are health issues and a larger space would be preferable anyway.

Nano fish include Ember Tetra, the various dwarf rasbora in the genus Boraras, one of the dwarf cory species like Corydoras pygmaeus.

Thanks very much Byron. That was lots of information, nothing bad about that though, very informative and for now I think my options are shrimp (if they CAN do softwater ) and ottos, and second option would be some other nano fish and I'll have a look on some right now for soft acidic fish.

So there's sparkling gourami that I like and I've had a look at anchor catfish which also seem nice. I haven't seen anything on cherries though.

So there's sparkling gourami that I like and I've had a look at anchor catfish which also seem nice. I haven't seen anything on cherries though.

Other members know about cherry shrimp. I have seen GH being 4 dGH and up, so this may be the soft water shrimp. Let others confirm/advise.

Anchor catfish I have never kept (never even seen them locally), but if they are the species Hara jerdoni, here's some data:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hara-jerdoni/

They need sand substrate. They like it on the cooler side. The sparkling gourami need it warmer; their ranges do not even overlap, so this avoids the two together.

Ah OK, I see. I'll probably not go for anchors then as they need well oxygenated water and my tank is quite like a cube so that doesn't allow much oxygen diffusion. If someone comes along with Cherry shrimp advice it would be good as I like the ottos and cherries idea but of they're not suited to soft water I may go with tetras and sparkling gourami. I have a fair bit of surface movement so I don't think the gouramis will build a nest and become agressive... Could be wrong though. I could just get males but apparently they are hard to sex.

OKive read some articles on how cherries can thrive in soft water but I think I'll need to supplement thier diet with cuttlefish bone or something to help them moult

My local fish shop only has otocinclus affinis, are they suitable for my tank?

My local fish shop only has otocinclus affinis, are they suitable for my tank?

The identification of the specific species of oto in the home aquarium is not always easy as there are several with very similar patterns and the names attached to them in stores are frequently inaccurate. Fortunately the care and behaviour is basically identical whichever species you may have in your aquarium. No Otocinclus species possesses an adipose fin, but this fin is present on the species in the closely-related Paratocinclus genus.

Otocinclus macrospilus is probably the species most often encountered in the hobby; this species is often mis-identified as O. affinis [see comments below]. It is strikingly similar to O. vestitus and can be distinguished by the markings on the caudal (tail) fin. O. macrospilus has a dinstinctive large round black blotch at the base of the caudal fin; on O. vestitus the horizontal black band extends onto the caudal fin with no significant enlargement into a blotch. O. vittatus is another near-identical species, but the upper edge of the black horizontal band along the sides of the fish is bordered by a distinct white clear band separating the black band from the mottled pattern; on O. macrospilus the white band is less distinct in places and on O. vestitus the mottled pattern adjoins the black band with no definable white band.

This is a shoaling fish that will usually not last long if acquired on its own or even as a pair; a group of three minimum is required, more when space allows; you could have five, but please note what follows.

The aquarium should be well-planted; this species' sole activity during daylight hours is to graze algae from plant leaves, wood, rock, tank walls--indeed any surface. It will frequently stop to rest on the leaves of plants, and may frequently be inconspicuous in the aquarium. Without abundant plants and other surfaces it will feel exposed and vulnerable and such stress readily brings on health issues and early demise. There have been reports of otos feeding off the sides of certain other fish; this habit is probably the result of stress or insufficient vegetable (algae) matter in the aquarium. Otos continually eat, so this must be considered when acquiring them.

There is a high mortality rate among newly-purchased otos. This is because they are wild-caught, and upon arrival in stores are most often nearly starved; being an algae-eater, it needs regular feedings of such food. They should always only be introduced to a tank containing plants with algae [this replicates their natural habitat], either the common green algae or diatoms (brown)--these fish will not eat algae such as brush, beard, etc. If this is not done, they may very likely starve to death quickly. Once they have eaten algae and settled in, usually after several weeks, they will quite readily find and eat sinking algae-type discs and tablets, along with fresh vegetables. But initially algae must be present or death usually occurs within a couple days to weeks.

One method that can work is to use dried leaves; oak, maple, beech are all safe (as leaves), and can be collected after they have fallen from the tree in the autumn. [You can purchase Indian Almond Leaves in some fish stores.] Choose a safe collecting site, away from any chemicals, pollutants, fertilizers, pesticides, etc. I have an oak tree in my back garden and every autumn I collect a large bag of fallen oak leaves, lay them out on paper towels to dry, then bag them. Placed in the aquarium, it takes a couple days for the leaves to become water logged, after which they sink and can be laid on the substrate or placed upright among plants or chunks of wood. All grazing fish will readily (usually) feed off leaves, as it is a natural component of almost every tropical habitat. The infusoria produced is excellent food for all fry too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back