Stocking Edits. They Never End.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

McCool

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I want apologize to everyone here who has had to deal with my constant change in stocking plans.
But guess what?

Lets do it again.
wahey.gif

TANK:
55 gallons
Sand at the moment, however that shall be changed soon. To what? Thats still up for debate.
Standard 4ft tank
Two T5 39W daylight bulbs
Fluval 306 canister filter
Planted. Eventually, I want it to be VERY heavily planted.
Driftwood. Lots of hiding places.
Fully cycled. Been running for around a year now.
PH is very high. Like 8. I know, I know, I need to get this down. Suggestions for that are welcome.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 20-40
50% WC every week

CURRENT STOCK:
2 Bolivian Rams
4 Zebra Loaches
3 Red Swordtails

STOCKING IDEAS:
Well.....
unsure.png

I'm not sure.
I had this whole list planned out... but after looking at it for so long, I'm already getting bored of fish I don't own.
My only request... I want COLOR!
I love the Red Tailed Sharks, but if memory serves correct they are agressive...? Aggression doesn't bother me as long as they don't kill or stress anyone out too much.
So please, suggest away. I know tropical fish don't always have to boldest colors, but the brighter the better. My last tank was very colorless, so I'm switching it up this time!

thanks.gif

Well if you want colour, amd your ph is at 8, why not embrace it and go down the Malawi route? The high PH will be to your advantage and they are VERY colourful.

Well if you want colour, amd your ph is at 8, why not embrace it and go down the Malawi route? The high PH will be to your advantage and they are VERY colourful.

Im honestly not huge on too many cichlids.... Would any be compatible with my current stock? They certainly would be colorful...

Plus, I wouldnt have to change the substrate... which would save me money...

Plus, don't Cichilds destroy live plants? Not sure where I heard that, just something that I remember from somewhere....

Somehow in the span of one reply and an hour of research, I may possibly be completely changing my tank plans. I just looked through the "Plants that can survive Cichlids" thread, and saw a couple low light plants that I could do....

My only question... Compatible with current stock?

How about some male Endlers? They are so beautiful and have enchanting colours. I'm not sure if it's safe to have them with Swordtails and Rams, but if they are, that would be a very good choice, I think! I'm getting 4 Endlers tomorrow for my 60 liter, and I can't wait!

How about some male Endlers? They are so beautiful and have enchanting colours. I'm not sure if it's safe to have them with Swordtails and Rams, but if they are, that would be a very good choice, I think! I'm getting 4 Endlers tomorrow for my 60 liter, and I can't wait!

I do love endlers, unfortuanly not easy to find around here. :( They have some guppy mixes, but no pure ones. If the Cichlids dont work out, I may see if I can find some. A big group would be stunning!

I do love endlers, unfortuanly not easy to find around here.
sad.png
They have some guppy mixes, but no pure ones. If the Cichlids dont work out, I may see if I can find some. A big group would be stunning!
Yeah, it's lucky I found a shop with Endlers in when I went LFS hunting! If you wanted some and there isn't a shop near you with them, you could always try looking online and order them. I'm sure there's some online shop that does that.

sad.png
They have some guppy mixes, but no pure ones. If the Cichlids dont work out, I may see if I can find some. A big group would be stunning!
Yeah, it's lucky I found a shop with Endlers in when I went LFS hunting! If you wanted some and there isn't a shop near you with them, you could always try looking online and order them. I'm sure there's some online shop that does that.

I think Live Aquaria has them..... Just wish shipping wasnt so much! :/ I may be able to find some guppy mixes that look like endlers around here :) I actually already have two. One has a guppy tail and the other looks like a faded out endler :lol:

sad.png

I think Live Aquaria has them..... Just wish shipping wasnt so much!
confused.gif
I may be able to find some guppy mixes that look like endlers around here
smile.png
I actually already have two. One has a guppy tail and the other looks like a faded out endler
laugh.png
Hehe! ;)

So yeah, Endlers might be a good choice if they are ok with the other fish.

sad.png

I think Live Aquaria has them..... Just wish shipping wasnt so much!
confused.gif
I may be able to find some guppy mixes that look like endlers around here
smile.png
I actually already have two. One has a guppy tail and the other looks like a faded out endler
laugh.png
Hehe!
wink.png

So yeah, Endlers might be a good choice if they are ok with the other fish.

Ill definitely look into them if I don't go the Cichlid route! Thank you! :)

It's a pleasure! I'm still not sure if they'll go with the Swordtails and Rams... I think Swordtails are the more aggressive of the Livebearers but I'm not too sure. And are Rams peaceful? Do they nip big-ish, wavy fins and tails?

It's a pleasure! I'm still not sure if they'll go with the Swordtails and Rams... I think Swordtails are the more aggressive of the Livebearers but I'm not too sure. And are Rams peaceful? Do they nip big-ish, wavy fins and tails?

The Endlers? It should be fine. I actually have my 2 hybrids in with them now. No problems :) Rams are pretty peaceful, and I've never seen much fuss from the swordtails.

if you want to lower the ph,put some bogwood in,that should help

I have some wood in the tank now, didnt make much difference. I do plan on getting more though, so hopefully it'll help some!

OK, well, Endlers would be a fantastic choice then! With the size tank you have, I would say get... 6-8 males, and if you want them to breed, put 2 females in there as well. :)

OK, well, Endlers would be a fantastic choice then! With the size tank you have, I would say get... 6-8 males, and if you want them to breed, put 2 females in there as well.
smile.png

Awesome, Thank you! Definitely one to keep in mind! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back