The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CommandorCobra

Reaction score
I am going to start a new 30 gallon tall fresh water mostly planted tank. I'm planning on fishless cycling once i get my soil and plants in. My stocking ideas are 2 Angelfish, 4 Black Neon Tetra, 5 Cherry Barbs, and 3 Dwarf Sucker fish. I chose those tetras because they are bigger than the others. I plan on putting them in the tank in sets. I was thinking barbs then the tetras then angels and finally when I see some algae build up dwarf suckers. I also plan on getting all the fish young and similar sizes.

My questions are:

1. Should I get more than 2 angels and see who pairs off and give away the others?
2. Will the dwarf suckers get eaten?
3. Is this overstocked?
4. If it is overstocked, how long until the fish are too big for the tank and a suggestion on the next size tank?
5. How long should I wait between putting sets of fish in?
6. Are the order of the sets right?

I am going to start a new 30 gallon tall fresh water mostly planted tank. I'm planning on fishless cycling once i get my soil and plants in. My stocking ideas are 2 Angelfish, 4 Black Neon Tetra, 5 Cherry Barbs, and 3 Dwarf Sucker fish. I chose those tetras because they are bigger than the others. I plan on putting them in the tank in sets. I was thinking barbs then the tetras then angels and finally when I see some algae build up dwarf suckers. I also plan on getting all the fish young and similar sizes.

My questions are:

1. Should I get more than 2 angels and see who pairs off and give away the others?
2. Will the dwarf suckers get eaten?
3. Is this overstocked?
4. If it is overstocked, how long until the fish are too big for the tank and a suggestion on the next size tank?
5. How long should I wait between putting sets of fish in?
6. Are the order of the sets right?

1. 30gallon I would suggest only one as these get very large.
2. Depends how small they are, Angels are quite the bully to most fish unless they can hold there own.
3. You can not stock neons with angels, They eat them. Cherry barbs are nipping things to but should be okay with a angel.
4, See above.
5. Drop around 4-5 fish and leave for a week or two.

1) only 1 angel as stated above. It is way too small to house multiple adults while waiting for a pairing and even if you do get a pair then it is only room for a spawning tank as they will not tolerate other fish being so close. In a 30 gallon the other fish will have no way of escaping the spawning pair's wrath.
2)Need to know what the dwarf sucker actually is. Chances are you were just sold a baby and most suckers get WAY too large for a 30 gallon tank. Even if bristlenose/bushy nose your tank is maxed out at 1.
3)Over/poorly stocked. Depends on what type of sucker. Cherry barbs should be "OK" but please monitor your angelfish's fins as they will be a prime target. The neons will be lunch when the angel gets big enough.
4)If over stocked, it is too small now. Crammed fish are not healthy fish.
5) Do not add anything right now until we sort out the suckers and maybe remove 1 angel and the neons, What ever larger bodied tetra you replace the neons with should have a larger shoal as 4 is not enough for a school.
6) After the fishless cycle, add slow. for a 30 gallon tank, you should be able to control the algae so what ever you add in should be fed another source also and should be added for personality/looks and not usefulness. I suggest maybe trading in the suckers for a school of corydoras.

Just my 2 cents but Cherry Barbs are not nippy at all.  I have 6 of them, 3 pairs to be exact, for about a year and a half & I've never seen the slightest sign of them being aggressive like Tiger Barbs, Serpae Tetra, etc.  Again, just my experience.

Also, I doubt the Angels would really bother the Black Neons as much as they would the standard Neon Tetras due to their adult size.  A single juvenile Angelfish kept with full grow Black Neons probably won't bother them much.  If the Angel can't fit the fish in it's mouth easily, it won't bother.  That's just my experience mind you.......... 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back