Stocking and Filtration Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Right now, I only know for sure that I will be getting peacock gudgeons and bronze Cory or a similar species of Cory. I love bristlenose plecos as well, but now that Iā€™m actually looking at the tank, Iā€™m wondering if I wouldnā€™t prefer a larger group of corys instead of corys and bristlenose. I think Iā€™m going to skip on the gourami. I had been playing around with the idea of honey gourami as well, but I donā€™t think itā€™s a fish I absolutely must have in this tank.

I will take it that there will be a smallish group of the peacock gudgeon (6-7 likely). Given the tank space, the cories should be increased to around 12. With these starting points, you have such an option it is hard to know where to begin. You mentioned tetras, so any of the peaceful species (some are notorious fin nippers and best avoided in community tanks) in a group of 8-10. The medium-sized rasboras similarly.

I went to a few pet stores today. The first was awful and I am never going back again. Days old dead fish and frogs rotting away, mounds of fish poo, a distinct odor, a HUGE Oscar cichlid in a tank with a two inch baby pleco who looked like he would be lunch... Never ever ever going back. Plus the reptile room smelled so bad we had to immediately back out of it.

Anyway, we went to petco and I got quite a few plants. They didnā€™t have any floating plants so Iā€™ll be ordering some online. While I was there, I spotted some zebra danios. Seriously Fish says they like my kind of water and are pretty calm and good for most communities. Would they be suitable with the peacock gudgeons? Also, since I have planted the tank today, would they be a good option for the first round of fish additions? Assuming I can get some healthy floating plants in by then, I would like to add the first group of fish on Friday.

Iā€™m thinking my stock is going to look more like this:
6 peacock gudgeons
12 bronze Corydoras
A school of zebra danios (Iā€™m not sure how many would be suitable; I also like harlequins and black neon tetras)

I went to a few pet stores today. The first was awful and I am never going back again. Days old dead fish and frogs rotting away, mounds of fish poo, a distinct odor, a HUGE Oscar cichlid in a tank with a two inch baby pleco who looked like he would be lunch... Never ever ever going back. Plus the reptile room smelled so bad we had to immediately back out of it.

Anyway, we went to petco and I got quite a few plants. They didnā€™t have any floating plants so Iā€™ll be ordering some online. While I was there, I spotted some zebra danios. Seriously Fish says they like my kind of water and are pretty calm and good for most communities. Would they be suitable with the peacock gudgeons? Also, since I have planted the tank today, would they be a good option for the first round of fish additions? Assuming I can get some healthy floating plants in by then, I would like to add the first group of fish on Friday.

Iā€™m thinking my stock is going to look more like this:
6 peacock gudgeons
12 bronze Corydoras
A school of zebra danios (Iā€™m not sure how many would be suitable; I also like harlequins and black neon tetras)

My concern with zebra danios would be their high level of activity (swimming). Gudgeon are fairly quiet swimmers, and such fish usually do not appreciate rapid activity around them. Rasboras and some of the tetras would be more suited in this regard. Other members have described zebra danios in some cases as charging around continually, and this you do not want here.

Byron, could you recommend a few species? I definitely appreciate your advice! You have been so helpful.

Byron, could you recommend a few species? I definitely appreciate your advice! You have been so helpful.

I usually prefer to let you suggest possible species and then I can point out any issues there might be, as I am not sure what may be available in your region nor do I know what you like. And it is your tank.

However, as you did mention Harlequin Rasbora, those should work, though I usually look for one of the two related species which I think are somewhat nicer. The Harlequin is Trigonostigma heteromorpha, and then there is T. espei and the even more colourful T. hengeli. All three are pictured in the attached photos which are labelled with the names. These all swim roughly mid-level in the tank. This might be somewhat the same level for the peacock gudgeon? If so, you might want to consider fish that inhabit upper or lower levels, as it is usually better to spread out their normal swimming areas just to avoid "blank" areas in the water column.

The Black Neons mentioned previously should work too. For the surface, maybe the Marble Hatchetfish?

Attachments

• Trigonostigma heteromorpha2.jpg
    Trigonostigma heteromorpha2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Trigonostigma espei1.jpg
    Trigonostigma espei1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Trigonostigma hengeli1.jpg
    Trigonostigma hengeli1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 123
Based on their availability, I am going with black neon tetras. Iā€™ve added in 12 for right now. Iā€™ve got some floating plants in there now and Iā€™m monitoring water levels. They seem to be pretty happy. One of them came in from the shop with an injury (didnā€™t realize when I bought them), but itā€™s already healing. Iā€™m thinking the eventual size of the school will be between 24-30?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back