Stocking and Filtration Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Hmmm. I suppose that makes sense. So in this case, assuming the fish I want are compatible with my water (which may not be the case), the shrimp would probably not be the best option, neither the gudgeons because they like pristine water. So perhaps a school of robust tetras would be a good first addition? Or the Corydoras? I love the way CPDs look, but having heard mixed results about peacock gudgeons with celestial pearl danios, I am no longer sure about adding them in.

I would not recommend CPD in community tanks. They deserve a tank of their own, and a sufficiently large group so they can be more natural. The gudgeon I have not kept so cannot offer more than what was in the earlier link, but from that and the CPD I would not combine them.

There shouldn't be any issues with the danios and gudgeons as long as the gudgeons get food. The Cories and bristlenose won't be an issue and neither will the shrimp.

20 danios in a 4ft tank shouldn't be an issue either. It's a good sized tank with plenty of room and the danios are small.

My only concern is the GH of 0 and the high KH, no idea how that occurred, but minerals can be added to the water to increase the GH a bit if needed. :)

There shouldn't be any issues with the danios and gudgeons as long as the gudgeons get food. The Cories and bristlenose won't be an issue and neither will the shrimp.

20 danios in a 4ft tank shouldn't be an issue either. It's a good sized tank with plenty of room and the danios are small.

My only concern is the GH of 0 and the high KH, no idea how that occurred, but minerals can be added to the water to increase the GH a bit if needed. :)

My last group of peacock gudgeons were in a 40 gallon with emperor tetras I believe. They never paid them any mind, but Iā€™ve never had CPDs before. Have you had them together? I need to look at a few websites on CPDs I think.

As for the water issues, I retested the ph using my API kit and that gave me a pH of 6.4, so Iā€™m beginning to think the strip tests are not that accurate. Gary from the water department will give me a call back when he has the information I need. I am hoping Gary will be swift!

I have never kept Celestial Pearl Danios because we don't get them here. However, I have kept plenty of peacock gudgeons with all sorts of fish and never had a problem with them. I have had them with Iriatherina werneri, Pseudomugils, cherry & checkered barbs, tetras, small gouramis, Corydoras, Otocinclus, bristlenose, whiptail and twig catfish, and a few other small fish as well as glass shrimp. As long as the gudgeons get food they are fine and won't bother anyone.

I have news from Gary! According to him our gh is 3.2 mg/l and our kh is 8.1 mg/l but sometimes itā€™s a little lower than that since my city uses two water sources.

I have news from Gary! According to him our gh is 3.2 mg/l and our kh is 8.1 mg/l but sometimes itā€™s a little lower than that since my city uses two water sources.

These numbers make more relative sense. Mg/l is the same as ppm, so 3.2 ppm is basically zero GH, and 8.1 ppm KH is not much different. The water is very soft (there are countless fish species suitable). And the pH will inevitably lower, so on the acidic side which almost always goes with soft water species.

I would use a Rift Lake water conditioner at 1/4 to 1/3 strength to increase the GH of the water because your GH is so low.

These numbers make more relative sense. Mg/l is the same as ppm, so 3.2 ppm is basically zero GH, and 8.1 ppm KH is not much different. The water is very soft (there are countless fish species suitable). And the pH will inevitably lower, so on the acidic side which almost always goes with soft water species.

Yes I am much happier to hear these results.

Opposite to Colin in that I have never kept peacock gudgeons but do have a group of 25 CPD in a 15G. Firstly your water is too soft - I chose them because I have very hard water. SF lists their requirements as 90 - 268 ppm. You can adjust this as Colin suggests but in general these do not make good community fish. Everything you have read about how shy they are is true and they are easily out competed for food. In the early days my RCS used to chase them off their food. Now the plants have grown in and they are more settled and do fight back :) (although flight is always the first option).

Not saying you shouldn't get them and I think mine are great - but they really do best in a species only tank, and a large group.

I would not recommend using any mineral salts until you/we know the intended species. I have 8 tanks of fish and my water is zero GH and zero KH and has been for decades. I will not attempt fish species that need moderately hard or harder water. Believe me, as someone who has gone down that road, mixing water for each and every water change can get expensive and involved.

And I agree with seangee that CPD are best on their own; a group of say 20 in a fairly heavily planted tank would be ideal.

Opposite to Colin in that I have never kept peacock gudgeons but do have a group of 25 CPD in a 15G. Firstly your water is too soft - I chose them because I have very hard water. SF lists their requirements as 90 - 268 ppm. You can adjust this as Colin suggests but in general these do not make good community fish. Everything you have read about how shy they are is true and they are easily out competed for food. In the early days my RCS used to chase them off their food. Now the plants have grown in and they are more settled and do fight back :) (although flight is always the first option).

Not saying you shouldn't get them and I think mine are great - but they really do best in a species only tank, and a large group.

I just read that they prefer harder water during my lunch break. I think Iā€™m going to go for a school of tetras. Iā€™m not sure which species yet though.

I would not recommend using any mineral salts until you/we know the intended species. I have 8 tanks of fish and my water is zero GH and zero KH and has been for decades. I will not attempt fish species that need moderately hard or harder water. Believe me, as someone who has gone down that road, mixing water for each and every water change can get expensive and involved.

And I agree with seangee that CPD are best on their own; a group of say 20 in a fairly heavily planted tank would be ideal.

Iā€™m going to look into some tetras species instead of the danios. From what I remember, most tetras prefer softer water (could be wrong; Iā€™m rusty!). I like black skirts but I donā€™t know much about their personalities. Iā€™m going to do some research on different species tonight when I get off work.

Iā€™m going to look into some tetras species instead of the danios. From what I remember, most tetras prefer softer water (could be wrong; Iā€™m rusty!). I like black skirts but I donā€™t know much about their personalities. Iā€™m going to do some research on different species tonight when I get off work.

Yes, most tetras with a few exceptions will be fine in your source water. As you mention Black Skirts--I would forget these because of their temperament. They are known to fin nip slower sedate fish and fish with longish fins. Fish like the gourami mentioned in post #1 would be hounded to death by this tetra.

I could suggest suitable tetras, but I would first like to know the other intended fish to avoid problems like the above, and others like the activity level, as active swimmers will upset sedate fish. Gourami are very sedate.

There are also characins other than tetras, in the pencilfish and hatchetfish families, that need very soft water, as most of these will be wild caught. Here again one must know the other tankmates to obtain a peaceful and harmonius community.

Right now, I only know for sure that I will be getting peacock gudgeons and bronze Cory or a similar species of Cory. I love bristlenose plecos as well, but now that Iā€™m actually looking at the tank, Iā€™m wondering if I wouldnā€™t prefer a larger group of corys instead of corys and bristlenose. I think Iā€™m going to skip on the gourami. I had been playing around with the idea of honey gourami as well, but I donā€™t think itā€™s a fish I absolutely must have in this tank.

You could have Otocinclus catfish instead of bristlenose. They are small algae eaters that would work with peacock gudgeons.

Sparkling or Licorice gouramis would also work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back