Stocking Advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

neon gooner

Reaction score
Hi all I am fairly new to fish keeping and was wondering if someone could give me some advice based on my setup. I have a fully cycled and well planted natural aquarium. It's a 75 litre tank (Marina lux 75) with a Fluval U3 internal filter. Currently I have 10 neon tetras all doing well, the very first few I added are now in there 2 months. I have read lots and lots of different conflicting information on stocking levels and naturally I want to err on the side of caution when in comes to stocking levels. I want my fish to be at the most comfortable level possible for my tank size. I am really keen to add a small school of corydoras habrosus and have read the usually max out at around 0.75 inches. Would I be ok to add 5-6 of them to my tank? I am also interested in adding a small school of ember tetras around 6. Am I way off the mark in thinking it's ok to add both or one of these groups of fish to my tank of neon tetras?

I believe that 20g. The embers and cories should be ok. I would question the filter though. Im not familiar with it. However im not a fan of internal filters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yes it would be pretty close to 20 US gallons. The filter is recommended for between 24-40 gallon and I bought after a little online research and advice from my local aquarium shop to up the size. I think I will eventually switch to an external filter and bigger tank once I find my feet a bit in this new hobby. Cheers for the advice on the cories and embers.

i would say get your 6 corys, then with the ember tetras, im iffy about that. ive never seen a smaller tank like this with 3 grouping fish. I would personally keep it at 2 grouping fish max. so rn you have the tetras, I would add the corys, they would clean the bottom of the tank from extra food and would thrive in a planted tank.

bump:
You could however add some more single dwelling fish (fish that don't need a group) I'd say you could add about 3-4 small single fish

I would suggest we get some water parameters first, You know the important stuff like PH and hardness before suggesting fish.

bump:
You could however add some more single dwelling fish (fish that don't need a group) I'd say you could add about 3-4 small single fish

What would you suggest would be suitable small single fish for a tank this size?

Anyway here is some suggestions, read my descriptions carefully as some are species only, and/or do actually school.
Have fun reading!
Scarlet Badis (Dario dario): The scarlet badis is the hidden gem of the aquarium world. Rarely found in pet shops, the shy scarlet badis blossom in nano tanks. Their timid nature makes community setups a poor environment for these fish. Species only tanks are preferred, with one male badis with a harem of females. Males are known to be aggressive towards each other, so tanks larger than 10 gallons are required if housing more than one male. This allows them to establish their own territories and females of choice.

Heavily planted tanks with subdued lighting and dark substrate help scarlet badis feel more comfortable in their home. Care must be taken to ensure each of the badis get enough food, especially if kept with other species, as they will not compete for food.

Max size: 1 inch
-----
Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma sp.): The pygmy sunfish is one of the lesser known nano fish in the hobby. These fish enjoy a heavily planted tank with slow moving waters. Although not classified as part of the species, males exhibit cichlid like behaviors during spawning. They spend their days dancing and impressing females, and will fiercely protect eggs. The pygmy sunfish is somewhat difficult to feed, as they mainly accept live and frozen foods. Having a continuous supply of live foods in the tank allows the sunfish to scavenge through out the day.

------
Endler’s Livebearer (Poecilia wingei): Endlers are quickly becoming more and more popular candidates for nano and community aquariums, and it’s easy to see why. These fish are an excellent species for new and experienced owners alike. Male endlers have stunning, incredibly vibrant colors that can be found in various patterns. Like their larger guppy cousin , endlers are known for being prolific breeders. Because nano tanks lack space for additional fish, it’s better to keep all males. Endlers are extremely adaptable, and very entertaining to watch. They tirelessly explore all levels of the aquarium, and add a flash of color and life to the room.

Max size: 1.5 inches
------
Celestial Pearl Danio/Galaxy Rasbora (Celestichthys margaritatus): In 2006, an image was released of a stunningly beautiful freshwater fish discovered in Southeast Asia. In fact, it was almost too gorgeous to be real. The celestial pearl danio is a tiny fish that is quickly becoming a sensation in the aquarium hobby. These active little shoaling fish are renowed for their incomparable coloration, displaying rich reds, deep blues, and vibrant yellows when comfortable in their home. A heavily planted tank is crucial for this species, not only for cover, but to break up the lines of sight of rambunctious males. Male celestial pearl danios are known to have quite a temperment, constantly sparring with rival males over territory and females. Because of this, its best to house more females than males, to prevent weaker males from being harassed to death. The celestial pearl danio is also one of the few fish on this list that thrives in alkaline water.

--------
Boraras Species: The genus Boraras contains six distinct species of petite tropical fish; B. maculatus (The dwarf or pygmy rasbora), B. micros (the dwarf Thai rasbora, or three spotted dwarf minnow), B. urophthalmoides (the sparrow or exclamation rasbora), B. merah (the Phoenix rasbora), B. brigittae (the mosquito, chili or red rasbora), and B. naevus (the strawberry rasbora). All of these bright colored fish stay less than an inch long, and because of their diminutive size, they are often found as prey for larger fish. It’s extremely important that you keep Boraras species in groups of six or more, to ensure they feel safe and secure. Most of the less common Boraras Species are wild caught, making them sensitive to changes in water parameters. Very soft, acidic water is a must. Luckily, the tiny members of the Boraras genus are adaptable when it comes to food, and will learn to take micro flakes or pellets.

Max size: ~1 inch
-------
Shrimp: Although not a fish, shrimp are certainly the best choice for stocking a nano tank and it would be a crime not to include them on this list. Shrimp are very low maintenance, and incredibly easy to care for. They have a minute bioload, and you could easily keep a small colony of shrimp in a 2.5 gallon tank. Shrimp come in a huge range of colors and patterns. Ghost, crystal, and cherry shrimp are among the most common shrimp species. They can be housed in a single species aquarium, or with other peaceful nano fish. They’re great to have and they work tirelessly as a “clean up crew”, scavenging for left over food.

Max size: depends on the species, but most stay around 1-2 inches
-----
Lyretail killifish are a popular choice for smaller aquariums. If your tank is long and relatively shallow, you can keep a pair or trio in 8-10 gallons (30-38L), provided the setup is very densely planted.

Unlike many other killifish species Aphyosemion australe is not annual, which means they live for more than a year and you don’t have to breed them every year to keep your population intact. In fact, they can live for up to three years and are relatively hardy compared to other killies.
------

The op must not like them because those choices were given.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I liked the idea of having embers and neons together, but I am very open to alternatives if that's not a good idea.
Anyway here is some suggestions, read my descriptions carefully as some are species only, and/or do actually school.
Have fun reading!
Scarlet Badis (Dario dario): The scarlet badis is the hidden gem of the aquarium world. Rarely found in pet shops, the shy scarlet badis blossom in nano tanks. Their timid nature makes community setups a poor environment for these fish. Species only tanks are preferred, with one male badis with a harem of females. Males are known to be aggressive towards each other, so tanks larger than 10 gallons are required if housing more than one male. This allows them to establish their own territories and females of choice.

Heavily planted tanks with subdued lighting and dark substrate help scarlet badis feel more comfortable in their home. Care must be taken to ensure each of the badis get enough food, especially if kept with other species, as they will not compete for food.

-----
Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma sp.): The pygmy sunfish is one of the lesser known nano fish in the hobby. These fish enjoy a heavily planted tank with slow moving waters. Although not classified as part of the species, males exhibit cichlid like behaviors during spawning. They spend their days dancing and impressing females, and will fiercely protect eggs. The pygmy sunfish is somewhat difficult to feed, as they mainly accept live and frozen foods. Having a continuous supply of live foods in the tank allows the sunfish to scavenge through out the day.

------
Endler’s Livebearer (Poecilia wingei): Endlers are quickly becoming more and more popular candidates for nano and community aquariums, and it’s easy to see why. These fish are an excellent species for new and experienced owners alike. Male endlers have stunning, incredibly vibrant colors that can be found in various patterns. Like their larger guppy cousin , endlers are known for being prolific breeders. Because nano tanks lack space for additional fish, it’s better to keep all males. Endlers are extremely adaptable, and very entertaining to watch. They tirelessly explore all levels of the aquarium, and add a flash of color and life to the room.

Max size: 1.5 inches
------
Celestial Pearl Danio/Galaxy Rasbora (Celestichthys margaritatus): In 2006, an image was released of a stunningly beautiful freshwater fish discovered in Southeast Asia. In fact, it was almost too gorgeous to be real. The celestial pearl danio is a tiny fish that is quickly becoming a sensation in the aquarium hobby. These active little shoaling fish are renowed for their incomparable coloration, displaying rich reds, deep blues, and vibrant yellows when comfortable in their home. A heavily planted tank is crucial for this species, not only for cover, but to break up the lines of sight of rambunctious males. Male celestial pearl danios are known to have quite a temperment, constantly sparring with rival males over territory and females. Because of this, its best to house more females than males, to prevent weaker males from being harassed to death. The celestial pearl danio is also one of the few fish on this list that thrives in alkaline water.

--------
Boraras Species: The genus Boraras contains six distinct species of petite tropical fish; B. maculatus (The dwarf or pygmy rasbora), B. micros (the dwarf Thai rasbora, or three spotted dwarf minnow), B. urophthalmoides (the sparrow or exclamation rasbora), B. merah (the Phoenix rasbora), B. brigittae (the mosquito, chili or red rasbora), and B. naevus (the strawberry rasbora). All of these bright colored fish stay less than an inch long, and because of their diminutive size, they are often found as prey for larger fish. It’s extremely important that you keep Boraras species in groups of six or more, to ensure they feel safe and secure. Most of the less common Boraras Species are wild caught, making them sensitive to changes in water parameters. Very soft, acidic water is a must. Luckily, the tiny members of the Boraras genus are adaptable when it comes to food, and will learn to take micro flakes or pellets.

Max size: ~1 inch
-------
Shrimp: Although not a fish, shrimp are certainly the best choice for stocking a nano tank and it would be a crime not to include them on this list. Shrimp are very low maintenance, and incredibly easy to care for. They have a minute bioload, and you could easily keep a small colony of shrimp in a 2.5 gallon tank. Shrimp come in a huge range of colors and patterns. Ghost, crystal, and cherry shrimp are among the most common shrimp species. They can be housed in a single species aquarium, or with other peaceful nano fish. They’re great to have and they work tirelessly as a “clean up crew”, scavenging for left over food.

Max size: depends on the species, but most stay around 1-2 inches
-----
Lyretail killifish are a popular choice for smaller aquariums. If your tank is long and relatively shallow, you can keep a pair or trio in 8-10 gallons (30-38L), provided the setup is very densely planted.

Unlike many other killifish species Aphyosemion australe is not annual, which means they live for more than a year and you don’t have to breed them every year to keep your population intact. In fact, they can live for up to three years and are relatively hardy compared to other killies.
------
Thanks, I have quite a bit of homework to do on a few on those

I'd be comfortable putting the embers and habrosus in. Being so small they won't affect your bio load by much. Most of the other fish suggested are schooling fish too.

I recently bought a fluval U2 I really like the design

I'd be comfortable putting the embers and habrosus in. Being so small they won't affect your bio load by much. Most of the other fish suggested are schooling fish too.

I recently bought a fluval U2 I really like the design

I really like the design of the fluval U3 too. I think I will add the cories and do a bit more research on other small tank mates while they settle in. I like the endlers and celestial Pearl Danios but would they need a school much in the same way as embers?

If you do decide on a new (different) filter for this 75 liter/20 gallon tank, I would suggest a simple dual sponge connected to an air pump. You have fish that are sedate (so far those mentioned are, which is best in smallish tanks anyway) and this means less rather than more water current. I use sponge filters in my smaller tanks (from 10g up to 40g). Larger tanks seem better with external canisters.

To the mentioned fish...the GH is soft to moderately hard (160ppm = 9 dGH) so this is easy to work with, especially with a pH slightly acidic (just below 7.0 which will likely be the case once the tank is biologically established). The neons are fine as is. Ember Tetra would work, in a group of at least 9-10. Small-size fish always do better in larger groups than larger-sized fish, with some exceptions, but generally, with small species, keep the groups around 10+. This also applies to the Corydoras habrosus (or the other "dwarf" species, C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus). A group of 9-12 of any one of these species would be fine. Make sure you have a sand substrate however, these do not fare well over gravel.

Another parameter with the species so far considered is temperature. Neons, the dwarf cory species, and Embers are best around 75-76F/23-25C but no warmer. So if any other fish are considered, keep this in mind. Temperature is even more critical for small-sized fish because it directly drives their metabolism.

A 20g/75l is small space to fish, so it is best with smaller species because not only will water quality be more stable but you can have more fish in the space, which adds interest which is important for the aquarist. My fish room is full of tanks of smallish fish, nothing much over 2-3 inches with a couple exceptions, and this can make for a very interesting aquarium.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back