20180714_024107.jpg

Fluval Flex 57L (~15 Gallon I think)

I have:
- 6 Harlequin Rasbora
- 4 Zebra Danio
- 1 Red Wagtail Platy
- 1 Bronze Cory
- 1 Bristlenose Pleco

In a couple of weeks I will be buying at least one more Bronze Cory as I know they're meant to be shoaling species and Dory/Dorian is on her/his own. I'd like to know if with adequate maintenance, I'd be able to get two or three shrimp (as I know they shoal too), or if it'd be a bit much? I imagine it'd be more of a bioload problem than a space problem as I know shrimp tend to stay on the bottom and are generally unimposing - but could do with some advice! Please and thanks.

Can you remind us what your tap water is like - hardness and pH (after leaving a sample of water to stand 24 hours for pH). I seem to remember you have hard water?

I know this is only a 15 gallon (57 liter) tank, but please do not get shrimp, get more cories. Two is not a group, you need five minimum, but here I would say four will do you. That should not cause an issue with regular water changes and not overfeeding, as I think we discussed a few weeks back elsewhere (another thread).

Thanks both! Okay, I will definitely leave the shrimp idea until a bigger tank is an option and get more Bronze Cories! My plan is to start off in a couple of weeks with just one, and then in the following weeks add another two together, as I'm wary of adding another three all at once unless anyone more knowledgeable than myself recommends otherwise!

And yes I have exceptionally hard water! Only looked a little bit into the water requirements of shrimp as it was more of a musing than a set in stone plan but feel like I read they can thrive in hard water? May be wrong though as like I said I'd only done minimal research.

I really like this forum and the ethical and understanding users here. I asked a similar question on Reddit and got slagged off to no end for overstocking even though I tried to explain that I didn't stock this tank myself and that before I got it it had a lot more fish in it. Really disheartening when I genuinely care about my little finned friends and have made myself entirely skint this month trying to get everything as perfect as possible for them. Other people on here have seemed to agree with me that if I could get them to a pet shop they would unlikely be better off anyway, and at least I'm someone who is willing to work with what I hear (and not impulse-buy shrimp without researching and realising the mistake first!!). I just really hope my fish are happy and it hurts when people speak to me as if I'm cruel when I care and I'm doing the absolute best I can.

Get the Corys together. There is no benefit in adding them one at a time and it will be less stressful for them.

Okay then, will do! Is it just when setting up a new tank that it's beneficial to add the fish in a few at a time, to help build up good bacteria in the filter?

I agree totally with post #5...always get the entire group of a shoaling species, even in a new tank. Not only will they settle in better and faster, but this avoids squabbling when it is a species that may be hierarchical--not a case with cories, but the habit is a good one to establish. You won't have issues with "cycling," especially with live plants.

On the shrimp, yes, they need mineral in the water so they will be better in harder rather than very soft water, though there are a few soft water species I believe. When you have more space, agree.

Members here like myself do not mind helping sort out issues when the individual is prepared to listen. Not always the case, unfortunately, and then it becomes a waste of everyone's time. But not in this case...you will make a good hobbyist to your fishies. :fish:

Thank you, the support means a lot! :D Think I'll fit in well in a lovely community like this - and maybe a few years down the line, I can be the one giving newbies such valuable advice! Appreciate every bit of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back