Stocking a ten gallon? (suggestions needed) Additional questions down below.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi all, I previously posted this exact same thread but it was titled ten litres instead of ten gallons (whoops).
I'm in need of help for the stocking of my the gallon.
I originally thought a Betta sorority but given the size of my tank. (forty litres), the aggression of the Betta's, the cost and their needs for a heavily planted tank I thought this may not be such a good idea (let me know if you think it might be and what I should be aware of)
Any suggestion on the stocking of my ten gallon would be great. I'm not after anything pricey and was thinking a nice community tank or something along lines of this.

I also have a 25 litre aquarium is there anything cold water that is able to be housed in there?

I also have another empty tank!! It also is twenty five litres would it be possible to put male Betta in there without a heater? Or should I purchase a heater to ensure quality of life for the fish?

Thankyou in advance. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

On the 25 liter tank(s), a single Betta would work. Maybe some "nano" fish (not with a Betta, Betta is stand alone). Depending upon water parameters (GH, KH, pH) of your source water (tap water probably?). As for temperature, if the room stays warm (including nights, winter, etc), a heater may not be necessary, depending which fish. Betta like warmth.

To the 10g...again, need to know parameters of the source water (should be able to get this data from the water authority if you're on municipal water, check their website). Live plants need not be involved, if one stays with easy care plants. Decent lighting is mandatory, so if you can provide details of your present light it will help.

Byron.

On the 25 liter tank(s), a single Betta would work. Maybe some "nano" fish (not with a Betta, Betta is stand alone). Depending upon water parameters (GH, KH, pH) of your source water (tap water probably?). As for temperature, if the room stays warm (including nights, winter, etc), a heater may not be necessary, depending which fish. Betta like warmth.

To the 10g...again, need to know parameters of the source water (should be able to get this data from the water authority if you're on municipal water, check their website). Live plants need not be involved, if one stays with easy care plants. Decent lighting is mandatory, so if you can provide details of your present light it will help.

Byron.

Hi Byron, so if I am not mistaken from your information live plants could not be sustained from the natural light the sun acquires as it is placed near a window?

Hi Byron, so if I am not mistaken from your information live plants could not be sustained from the natural light the sun acquires as it is placed near a window?

Usually not, but this takes some explaining.

I set up an experimental 10g a few years back, with no filter, no light, and just a heater. It was planted, with a couple shoals of fish. I placed it in a west-facing window for light, and monitored what went on over the course of a year.

The sun in the west was bright enough for the plants, but they grew toward the light source naturally, so that was a bit odd. Algae also was a nuisance. It is not easy to control daylight from a window, as the intensity varies from hour to hour, plus day to day, season to season. We would reason that sunlight/daylight should be the best light, but we are applying what occurs in nature to what is happening within the confines of a very artificial environment, the aquarium, and that can be dangerous. Natural processes are better than additives and such, but we need to control the drivers like light.

The light from a window might not be sufficient for certain plants, or it might be too much for others. Similar to houseplants.

I moved my experimental 10g after the year, added a sponge filter and overhead light, and it did look much better after a few weeks.

Usually not, but this takes some explaining.

I set up an experimental 10g a few years back, with no filter, no light, and just a heater. It was planted, with a couple shoals of fish. I placed it in a west-facing window for light, and monitored what went on over the course of a year.

The sun in the west was bright enough for the plants, but they grew toward the light source naturally, so that was a bit odd. Algae also was a nuisance. It is not easy to control daylight from a window, as the intensity varies from hour to hour, plus day to day, season to season. We would reason that sunlight/daylight should be the best light, but we are applying what occurs in nature to what is happening within the confines of a very artificial environment, the aquarium, and that can be dangerous. Natural processes are better than additives and such, but we need to control the drivers like light.

The light from a window might not be sufficient for certain plants, or it might be too much for others. Similar to houseplants.

I moved my experimental 10g after the year, added a sponge filter and overhead light, and it did look much better after a few weeks.
Thank you for this information. What you have said makes a lot more sense to me now as opposed to before. Thank you for explaining this to me :).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back