Stocking a 3 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luke_burrell

Reaction score
Looking to stock a 3 gallon tank with small fish. Either a small school of 6 neon tetras, 3 fancy guppies, or a betta fish. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Hi Luke, that tank is a bit on the small side, and isn't really suitable for any fish. A 5 gallon is suitable for a betta, so maybe you should try that? Or would you prefer one of the other options you mentioned? If so, you will need an even bigger tank than that. Make sure to cycle your tank and do the appropriate research before buying anything though.

A 3 gallon tank is fine for a single Betta. I wouldn't suggest smaller than that for a Betta, but it's not an issue to keep it in a 3. No other stocking you are considering would be suitable though... a shrimp only tank would work though.

Thanks for the replies guys, I do plan on getting a 10 or 20 gallon planted tank at some point and the current 3 gallon is being cycled right now. I think what i will do I keep this tank as a betta tank and then use the 10 or 20 gallon for a few tropical fish.

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-splendens-caresheet.423362/

Size: 2.5 gallons is a great starting point for a new betta keeper. 5 gallon tanks and above are easy to heat, easy to filter which means they need to be cleaned much less often. Contrary to popular belief, there is no minimum or maximum size tank. Bettas kept in larger tanks tend to be less prone to problems such as ammonia burn, bacterial infections, and obesity.

The larger the volume, the easier to keep water parameters steady.

Most reactions

trending

Back