April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BirdyBird

Reaction score
I wanted to stock a 5.5 gallon saltwater tank. What type of plants, fish, and invertebrates could I have? I really like brittle stars, Panda Gobies, and sexy shrimp, but if those won't work I am open to other types. Could I have any of those in the tank? And how many of each species should I put in there? Also what size filter should I get? I currently have a 5 gallon filter. The tank dimensions are 16.2 x 8.4 x 10.5.

Saltwater tanks are very hard to keep when small. The minimum should really be 10 gallons. When you have a small tank, things can go wrong very easily and waste builds up very quickly. Im not sure if you have kept a saltwater tank before but saltwater inverts are sensitive to water quality, so if you have a small saltwater tank, doing water changes might be a risk. Saltwater fish would never be able to go in there. You might be able to pull of a brittle star tank but it would be difficult.

A 5.5 Gallon Tank is no wear near Suitable for any Saltwater Fish.Maintaining a saltwater tank in that small size will be a headache as the fish and invertebrates are very sentive to the slightest imperfection.I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank and most fish have a problems even getting in there because eventually they would need to go into my 180 or more .Maintianing The right salinity in such a small tank is going to be ridiculously hard one day you might get it right the next day its wayyyy to high and the fish might be dead by then . I suggest u use that tank for a more suitable set up like a betta fish tank or upgrade to at least 50 gal or more maybe 30 Gal .Bio Cube set ups are more for the Advanced keepers that have been keeping Saltwater tanks for a good amount of years.Also if u do upgrade your tank for saltwater fish then look into investing in A refractometer , A good Protein Skimmer, RODI system(optional),live sand and lots of live rocks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back