Stocking 30L Biorb Tube

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MortisiaDowler

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My husband bought a Biorb Tube 30L and we are cycling it now. We have two sailfin mollies in there. We were wondering what fish would be more suitable for this tank?

We were thinking of guppies, rummy nose, neon tetras or cardinal tetras, glowlight tetras but we don't know if these fish will be ok for this tank.

What would you guys recommend except amano shrimps and snails that we will add anyways? And how many fish can we add to the tank?

The water quality were I live is hard at 113mg/L as calcium. No surprise for London.
The tank dimensions are 52 x 32 x 32cm.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/biorb-tube-30-led-aquarium-black

Thank you!!

For members not familiar with mg/l calcium (a unit which seems to be favoured by UK water companies) this hardness converts to :
15.8 dH and 282 ppm.

Unfortunately, as you seem to be aware, mollies are not suitable for this tank because of its size.
But the three tetras you name are soft water fish so they are not suitable either.

Guppies would be OK in this tank size and hardness, and so would endlers. I would go with endlers - males only - as being hardier than guppies, and slightly smaller. While they don't have the flashy tails of guppies, they come in several bright body colours. Endlers sold in shops are actually endler-guppy hybrids but are still hardier than guppies.

For members not familiar with mg/l calcium (a unit which seems to be favoured by UK water companies) this hardness converts to :
15.8 dH and 282 ppm.

Unfortunately, as you seem to be aware, mollies are not suitable for this tank because of its size.
But the three tetras you name are soft water fish so they are not suitable either.

Guppies would be OK in this tank size and hardness, and so would endlers. I would go with endlers - males only - as being hardier than guppies, and slightly smaller. While they don't have the flashy tails of guppies, they come in several bright body colours. Endlers sold in shops are actually endler-guppy hybrids but are still hardier than guppies.

This might seem like a stupid question but forgive for I am a newbie. Can I use distilled water in the aquarium?

Not 100% distilled water as all the fish in the aquarium trade require some minerals in their water. But distilled water (or reverse osmosis water, which is also pure water) can be used mixed with tap water to lower hardness. But the water at each water change must be prepared to the same ratio. You must also have enough distilled/RO water on hand to do an emergency water change because if you 'soften' the water like this, you can never use just tap water in the tank as the sudden change in hardness would harm the fish.

You would need to mix tap and distilled/RO water 50:50, which would reduce the hardness to 8 dH, or even a bigger proportion of pure water such as 2:1, which would reduce hardness to around 5 dH, for soft water fish.

But even with softened water you would need to choose carefully. This tank is a cylinder, tall rather than wide. It's footprint is a 32 cm (12 inch) circle and there are very few fish that can live in such a narrow tank. The tetras you mentioned in the first post need a tank with a footprint of 60 x 30 cm (24 x 12 inches)

The best website for research is http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This gives the water parameters needed by each species, and the minimum tank size.

Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD) would work. You could have a decent sized group but no other fish with them though. Cherry shrimp for variety.

Hi

You want my honest opinion? I do not think that tank is really suitable for fish because of its shape but that's just me.

If you are going to get Endlers do not get the hybrids get class N ( documented pure strain ) or class P ( appears pure but no documents ) again its just my opinion but K class Endlers are just plain ugly to me.

This is an A grade N class Endler.
o0JBd91.jpg

I have no idea what this is It may be a Guppy but its not an Endler.
ORKpNkv.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back