The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KaitlinL

Reaction score
I currently have 3 corydoras, a dwarf gourami, and a ctenopoma. They all get along fine so far. We are hoping to get some larger fish because our ctenopoma can get up to 6 in and will eat whatever fits in their mouth. I was thinking an angelfish and maybe a gourami or a few rams (ones that tolerate our low-ish temp)? 30 gallon tank, water stays at at 78 F and we have sand substrate. Not interested in tetras or livebearers of any sort. We love oddballs. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to TFF.

This is not easy. I don't know the dimensions of your 30g tank, but Ctenopoma should be in a 4-foot tank. Being an ambush predator, it needs thick plant growth and dim lighting. More info here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ctenopoma-acutirostre/

I certainly would not add an angelfish; this is a shoaling species that should be in a small group and there is certainly not space for that. While some do have lone angelfish, this is not something I recommend because it goes against the fish's natural expectation to live in a group.

Rams are another set of issues; the common or blue ram needs warmth, at least 80F, but this is not going to suit the cories (more on this below).

Other gourami, depending upon species, might work. But remember, gourami like cichlids are territorial (males) and this can easily lead to problems.

My advice is to keep what you have. You do need more cories though; these are shoaling fish and a group of at least five or six, preferably more (you could have 8-10 here), is strongly advisable. This you should certainly fix. You could lower the temperature a tad, say to 75-76; the cories would be much happier, and the other fish will be OK.

Hi! I would recommend a pineapple swordtail they are cool looking fish and like dim lighting just like your Ctenopoma. You might need to move your Ctenopoma to another tank before they get to large and eat some of your other fish. I would still do some more research on adding a pineapple swordfish to your tank to make sure that’s what you want but they are pretty cool fish.

What are you feeding the Ctenopoma?

Most reactions

Back