Stock My Freshwater Tank. Help Stocking :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

These are the last few questions I have or I will go with the tetras/cory setup.

Would a Cherry Barb be an OK fish instead of the corys?
Also idk if this is the same as the harlequin rasboras, but a Long fin Red Minor Tetra. They look sooo nice. Thanks

cooledwhip said:
These are the last few questions I have or I will go with the tetras/cory setup.

Would a Cherry Barb be an OK fish instead of the corys?
Also idk if this is the same as the harlequin rasboras, but a Long fin Red Minor Tetra. They look sooo nice. Thanks

The corys are lower level fish, meaning they tend to spend most of their time on or close to the substrate.  Upper level fish is the term for fish that spend their time in the upper levels of the tank, such as most of the tetras, rasbora, etc.  I was only suggesting the corys as this is a good lower fish that will add activity and interest in the bottom area, so cherry barbs will not do this but they are another upper level fish.  I would not go above two upper level fish species, as these being shoaling need the numbers, and more than two species is getting very crowded.  We are considering smallish fish here, but not nano (the very small species) which would be different, but most of those are more specialized as to water parameters.

The Harlequin Rasbora is pictured below.  Rasboras are cyprinids, occurring in SE Asia.  Generally they are very peaceful, and not active swimmers, so they do well in smallish tanks.  Tetras are characins, primarily from South America.  They are a diverse group of fish, with some very peaceful and quiet species, but also some very active swimmers, and some that can be down right nasty.  The Red Minor Tetra is one of these.  It is also known as the Serpae Tetra.  The species scientifically is Hyphessobrycon eques.  This fish is a known fin nipper; keeping it in larger groups of say 10+ can alleviate this, but this fish needs at least a 30 gallon tank just for this sized group, alone.  So not in a 20g.  Beyond that, just so you know, in larger tanks it must never be housed with slow or sedate fish, as it will almost always fin nip such fish.  It is too bad this fish is so troublesome, as it is quite attractive, and of course readily available in stores.  The Tiger Barb has near identical habits, and also is pretty and easily available.  Many are tempted to start out with a few of either, but almost always live to regret it.

Rasboras are like tetras in many respects, so they often make good tankmates with the more peaceful tetras.

Byron.

Attachments

• Trigonostigma heteromorpha2.jpg
    Trigonostigma heteromorpha2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 141
Thanks. I am happy with the fish plan you helped me select, I just had some questions about anything I can replace.. BUT HEY! That's just motivation to work harder to get a larger tank and I can get the other species I wanted. I like the corys now. I thought they were just algae suckers but apparently they move around. ( I understand by/on the substrate). Thanks

Byron, your rasboras look beautiful... I have a pair of my own, but the colors on yours are so vibrant!

HarpyFishLover said:
Byron, your rasboras look beautiful... I have a pair of my own, but the colors on yours are so vibrant!

Those aren't mine, that was just a photo I found to illustrate the fish for cooledwhip.  And they really should be in a group, at least 6-7, as they are a shoaling species and will be better with a group.  That may explain the lack of colour; fish under stress (and only being 2 or 3 of a shoaling species will inevitably cause stress) frequently have less colour.

Byron.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hello cooledwhip,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I guess you have quite hard water. Unfortunately most of the pretty ornamental fish will not feel that comfortable with these water conditions. Anyway the White Cloud Mountain minnow would be perfectly fitting in your fish tank. The big advantage is that this is a really god fish for beginners. Here some basic information [/SIZE]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Cloud_Mountain_minnow#In_the_aquarium
If you want to have some really pretty fishes you should think about changing your water parameters.  

Byron said:

I can attest to that, I'd added a few in a 55 gallon community years ago and boy did I ever regret it!  Adorable but nasty little fish that never stopped nipping and harassing the others.  I had to rehome them.

Oh goodness...I just can't seem to get the "quote" feature right.  Sorry guys.  I meant to quote Byron when he spoke of the Tiger Barbs.

Thanks guys I already decided on a nice stocking plan. 

Is it possible to put corycats on a bare bottom tank?

cooledwhip said:

Like many things, it is possible, but certainly not advisable.  Are you thinking a bare bottom quarantine (so temporary), or permanent?

Except in a "hospital" tank where you are specifically treating a fish for some disease or issue, having no substrate is not a good idea.  A host of various bacteria, necessary for a healthy aquarium, reside primarily in the substrate (not the filter).  Fish also "expect" a substrate, and bare glass is stressful (even in a temporary QT).  Some fish inter-relate with the substrate which brings us to corys; these sift the sand (or mud, depending upon the habitat) through their gills and this is a natural behaviour that should not be denied them.

Byron.

Byron said:

Like many things, it is possible, but certainly not advisable.  Are you thinking a bare bottom quarantine (so temporary), or permanent?

Except in a "hospital" tank where you are specifically treating a fish for some disease or issue, having no substrate is not a good idea.  A host of various bacteria, necessary for a healthy aquarium, reside primarily in the substrate (not the filter).  Fish also "expect" a substrate, and bare glass is stressful (even in a temporary QT).  Some fish inter-relate with the substrate which brings us to corys; these sift the sand (or mud, depending upon the habitat) through their gills and this is a natural behaviour that should not be denied them.

Byron.

It's for about a month or a month and a half at most.

I already purchased them. If need be I can purchase sand. I ordered th em online as there was a buy one get one free sale.

cooledwhip said:

Byron.

It's for about a month or a month and a half at most.

I already purchased them. If need be I can purchase sand. I ordered th em online as there was a buy one get one free sale.

They should be over sand, though as this is apparently their QT period they may manage.  The tank into which they will spend their lives permanently must have sand.

Most reactions

trending

Back