Stock help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The plant is not going to care much, being uprooted and replanted in sand. Plants will do better in a finer grain gravel or sand. Substrate-rooted plants will grow in most any substrate, though gravel large like this one can pose some issues. Biological activity occurs more effectively in sand (or a finer gravel). So there really are no down-sides.

As for cleaning, I tend not to touch the substrate much anyway, except sometimes in the open areas. Running the water changer just above the sand and stirring up the top level works well.
You have convinced me to get sand haha. How would I scoop out all the gravel?

You have convinced me to get sand haha. How would I scoop out all the gravel?

It will remove issues in the future, and now is the time to do a substrate change before more fish and the biology becomes more established.

You will need a spare tank for the fish; a large tupperware container can work, but it needs a cover (not airtight, but to prevent fish jumping). Drain water from the present tank to fill the spare/container. Add some floating plants, or float the rooted plants. Net over the fish. The filter/heater can usually just hang on the back and remain in operation. Then drain the existing tank, remove the gravel, add washed sand. Return the decor, half fill the tank. Plant the substrate plant(s). This may stir up the sand, and if it does I usually drain the water right down to the sand and then fill with fresh tap water at the desired temperature. And dechlorinator/conditioner. Move the filter/heater over and connect up. Net over the fish.

Start early in the day, about half an hour after the tank light comes on (the fish need this time to adjust to the light). This way you will be done with time left before the tank light goes out so the fish can settle in to their new home.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back