Sterbai Cory Spawn

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

McSealTeam

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Well I am assuming these are starbai eggs since they are the only egg layers in the tank... If someone could confirm that would be great, also why are some darker than others? Also since im a total beginner at this stuff any resources that i should look at as I try to keep them?
image.jpeg

There is no way to tell which species of cory or other fish these eggs are, they all tend to look much alike except perhaps in size.  But corys do place their eggs on surfaces, and if they are the only fish in the tank, these eggs must be theirs.  Loricariids also lay eggs like this, some species on vertical surfaces, some in caves, under leaves, etc.

The eggs will darken as they develop.  Corys often spawn over a long period, even days, plus you could have eggs from different females.  External factors (the weather, water changes) can trigger spawning and all of the corys might well do it at the same time.

If there are no other fish in the tank, the eggs may escape predation and hatch.  Corys themselves are not that bad at eating their eggs, but other fish easily do.  Once they hatch, they will need microscopic food.  This will be available on the substrate, among plants, on wood, if the tank is not new.  Adding dried leaves (oak, maple, beech, generally hardwoods) is very beneficial to provide infusoria and bacteria.  By dried I mean the leaves have fallen from the tree and are completely dead and dry.  You can get into other foods, but I go with what I've suggested.  It won't take long before the fry discover sinking foods that the adults eat, like pellets, tabs, disks.  Provided there are no fish (aside from the corys themselves) you should have several survive.

Byron.

Update: I have moved all the eggs I could find to a 1 gallon cube tank, I assume that I cannot keep them where they were since there are 4 pearl guaramis in that tank, I was able to find and transfer approximately 40 eggs. Since it is just a 1 gallon cube I would think that I should do a water change every day with water from the main aquarium and perhaps move some small plants as well? Totally new to me so any and all advice is appreciated :)

McSealTeam said:
Update: I have moved all the eggs I could find to a 1 gallon cube tank, I assume that I cannot keep them where they were since there are 4 pearl guaramis in that tank, I was able to find and transfer approximately 40 eggs. Since it is just a 1 gallon cube I would think that I should do a water change every day with water from the main aquarium and perhaps move some small plants as well? Totally new to me so any and all advice is appreciated
smile.png

Yes, the Pearls would likely have found the eggs before long, and they might see any fry that did hatch, though fry can hide under wood quite effectively sometimes.

An airstone placed such that the water is in motion over the eggs is beneficial, but a very gentle movement of water.  Sponge filters can provide similar movement.

agreeing with Byron. The reason some are darker may be due to some being fertile and some being infertile. As Byron said, the eggs will darken over the next 3 or 4 days but only the fertile eggs will darken. Any infertile eggs will turn a solid white colour. It's important to take any solid white eggs away as these will become fungus'd and can harm the fertile eggs.

Over the next 4 days the fertile eggs will turn a very dark brown - almost black. If you can get hold of some java moss I've found plenty of moss is often enough to provide food for them.

You could use our search function to search for 'cory eggs' as there has been a lot of members documenting cory spawns. There will be lots of useful information within those threads :)

So update 2: I apparently missed the eggs in my main tank for awhile because earlier today a bunch of them have hatched (11 I believe), they now spin around wiggling their little tail and what i assume is the egg sack... I have moved some bacopa stems and some mystery fern/moss that has been growing in my small 10 gallon for some time now, I believe that this is the best way for them to get food call infusoria for the first days of their life (If this is wrong please let me know).

Yes, there will be some microscopic food on plants that have been in a tank with fish for a while.  Dried leaves of hardwood trees I mentioned previously are good sources of infusoria if you can find some in the garden (just make sure they are completely dead).

the moss will be fine to sustain them. I added a few cory eggs to my fry tank over the last couple of weeks with some moss and some other plants plus a small bit of wood that had been in my main tank. I was checking in last night when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. Took a while to spot it but there is at least one little cory alive and well and surviving on what ever microscopic stuff it can find.

I've added just one little cory pellet to the tank this morning. Now I know the eggs hatched and there is something alive and well in there I start my effort to tempt them to eat something. This can be the difficult part.

That said I've had several little cories just turn up in my main tank that have managed to hide away and grow to nearly an inch just on infusoria.

Be careful adding leaves to your tank if you have soft water. They can and will crash the pH 

Akasha72 said:
Be careful adding leaves to your tank if you have soft water. They can and will crash the pH 

I believe that may have been the alder cones you added.  I have never had issues with oak leaves, and my 10g with the pygmy corys spawning and the Farlowella fry grow-out fish is full of oak leaves.  This is such an incredible food source.  Studies have shown that fry do grow faster and seem healthier in tanks with dried leaves.  It may be bacteria from the leaves in addition to the infusoria.

Byron said:

I believe that may have been the alder cones you added.  I have never had issues with oak leaves, and my 10g with the pygmy corys spawning and the Farlowella fry grow-out fish is full of oak leaves.  This is such an incredible food source.  Studies have shown that fry do grow faster and seem healthier in tanks with dried leaves.  It may be bacteria from the leaves in addition to the infusoria.

Can't have been Byron. I had only oak leaves in my fry tank - no cones and the pH in there fell from 6.5 to 4 aswell as my main tank. I'm still battling with my main tank.
I just want to make everyone aware it can happen and to be careful. Add them by all means but keep an eye on things if you have no gH and no kH.

Update 3(I think that is what were at): So I just did a 75% water change (putting in water from my main tank) managed to see 7 live babies all of which still had a visible egg sack besides 1, who might have still had a very small egg sack but it wasn't apparent. Now just time to hope that the mystery fern and the bacopa stems have enough food to support them :p

their yolk sac will sustain them for around 48 hours after that they'll need to feed of something. With luck, what you have provided will be enough. Raising cory fry is fraught with difficulties ... it's one hurdle after another but with time and patience you'll get there :)

If you read this you'll see the troubles I've been having http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/438775-place-your-bets/  it's a real roller coaster ride

Update Who knows what: So it has been a couple days without an update, but nothing changed so there was nothing to update on... I made sure to clean the tank real well today to get a count of how many of my lil' babies made have made it. Six is the answer, all free swimming with no egg sack. So here's hoping that there is enough micro-organisms to get them through then next few days.

did you manage to raise the babies

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back