Starting Up The Hobby Again! - My 28 Gal Bow-front Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dr. Bogger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After being out of this hobby for a while, u started missing it, so i just purchased a 28 gallon Bow-Front Tank from petsmart, and i realy like it... The stand i bought with it is realy cool too!

Here are the pics i took about a 5 - 7 days ago, I now have the tank in a different location, and i now have a bunch of Guppies, and 4 danios (used for cycling only, however, i did use Turbo Start by Fritz Pets to speed up the cycling process) Once the tank completely cycles should be within the next week or so (Because i used Turbo Start), i will be getting a couple of Ghost Knife Fish, and some other unique fish.

Anyways, Here are some pictures of my aquarium (without fish)

HPIM0527.jpg

HPIM0526.jpg

HPIM0524.jpg

HPIM0523.jpg

HPIM0521.jpg

HPIM0518.jpg

HPIM0517.jpg

HPIM0516.jpg

HPIM0515.jpg

Please leave some feedback on my tank. how does it look? Should i add anything to it? etc?

WELCOME BACK :good:

I dont mean to pee on your bonfire but, i'd stick with guppies and danios or some other smll fish under 4inches, ghost knife's grow to 16-20 inches, your tank is alittle small even for one. And i have read that keeping more than one together will cause problems such as fighting.

Maybe go for something abit smaller, check the oddball section for fish that can live in smaller tanks.

I dont mean to pee on your bonfire but, i'd stick with guppies and danios or some other smll fish under 4inches, ghost knife's grow to 16-20 inches, your tank is alittle small even for one. And i have read that keeping more than one together will cause problems such as fighting.

Maybe go for something abit smaller, check the oddball section for fish that can live in smaller tanks.

I had a feeling someone was gonna say that... lol.

I have a simple solution for that... I will probabley only get 1 ghost knife fish, however, once any fish in my tank gets too big, i have a friend who has a large aquarium (75 gallon i think), and i will be giving all the fish that outgrow my tank to him. So that way i can keep experamenting with different fish, without the fish getting too big for my tank.

Actualy, another friend of mine, has a couple of fish that supposeibly geting pritty big including 3 catfish, in a 12 or 16 gallon tank (i think its one of those two sizes, but im not possitive which one)... And she has had those fish for over 3 years now, and they are still living happily, and they havent out-grown the tank yet.

However, i know this could be because... oh whats the word im looking for... bascily when they stop growing because of bad water conditions or a too small of a tank, but i wont let that happen with my fish, as i know that is not healthy for them...

Bascily once the fish gets too big for the tank, ill be giving them to my friend, and if he dont want them, ill give them away to a good home with a large tank.

Hope this clears up things.

i know this is a late post to this one but am i correct...heaters arent meant for total submersion??

I had a feeling someone was gonna say that... lol.

I have a simple solution for that... I will probabley only get 1 ghost knife fish, however, once any fish in my tank gets too big, i have a friend who has a large aquarium (75 gallon i think), and i will be giving all the fish that outgrow my tank to him. So that way i can keep experamenting with different fish, without the fish getting too big for my tank.

Actualy, another friend of mine, has a couple of fish that supposeibly geting pritty big including 3 catfish, in a 12 or 16 gallon tank (i think its one of those two sizes, but im not possitive which one)... And she has had those fish for over 3 years now, and they are still living happily, and they havent out-grown the tank yet.

However, i know this could be because... oh whats the word im looking for... bascily when they stop growing because of bad water conditions or a too small of a tank, but i wont let that happen with my fish, as i know that is not healthy for them...

Bascily once the fish gets too big for the tank, ill be giving them to my friend, and if he dont want them, ill give them away to a good home with a large tank.

Hope this clears up things.

just to put this one to bed as well, 75 gall isnt large enough for a BGK really. Stick to sensible small fish for a small tank like yours.

just to put this one to bed as well, 75 gall isnt large enough for a BGK really. Stick to sensible small fish for a small tank like yours.
I agree. You will also not have to worry about getting attached and thinking that the fish will be ok "just a while longer" in the tank, making it more and more hard on the fish.

With that small of a tank, stock accordingly. It's better for any fish you will buy in the long run.

I'm pretty sure there are some heaters that aren't supposed to be completely submersed in the water, but they're usually older HUGE clunky ugly things.

I'm not entirely positive on that though. I remember seeing some that you're supposed to hang over the side, so not all of it is submersed. *shrugs*

But anywho! Tank looks great! We have the same exact one.. stand and all.. yay petsmart! lol

i know this is a late post to this one but am i correct...heaters arent meant for total submersion??

They will overheat and stop working if they are not toally under water. So no you're incorrect.

actually you are both right as some are made to be completely submerged and some are not....

as far as the catfish that havent outgrown the tank in 3 years .... do you think it is possible they may have had their growth stunted by living in smaller tanks?

lol, welcome back, its hard to quit huh?

tank looks lovely, im not advising on the stocking as i have enough problems with my own :shifty: , but lots of luck with the hobby :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back