Starting Off

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bluebear

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am just starting off and purchased a 275L tank 6 weeks ago and have done the fishless cycle. All my water readings were fine and I have started adding my fish. I have 6 tiger barbs, 3 Platys, 3 black widow and 3 black phantom tetra. everything seems fine, however I have noticed that my ammonia level has risen to 0.50NH. I did add Nutrafin biological supplement to detoxify the ammonia as I am now worrying that my bacteria levels are not as high as they need to be. All other levels are as they should be. Any Avice or have I just jumped the gun and added fish too early

Yes, it's possible you could have added fish too soon. Did you do a qualifying week?

Anyway, you're stuck with it now; big water changes are the order of the day (as this is basicaly in fish-in cycle now) you want to stop the ammonia getting above 0.25ppm between changes, so you'll have to work out how many/how often that is for your tank.

Hopefully you do have a good colony of bacteria that has just become temporarily overwhelmed with the new fish and will recover in a week or so.

Best bet to remove ammonia is to push up the sleeves and do a good ol' water change. Try to limit the number of chemicals you add to the tank - - chemical additives should not be used to adjust ammonia or pH.

Water changes here

No more fish in the tank for the next 4-6 weeks I reckon, others may correct me

Most reactions

Back