Starting My New African Cichlid Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

riogal_11

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am venturing into the freshwater world after having kept bettas and a saltwater tank over the years. My 75 gallon has been out of commission for a few years, and I am getting it set-up again with the intention of having an African Cichlid tank. I also currently have a 20 gallon tank cycling in my office at work, and I'm not really sure what I'm going to put in there yet. I am an advisor of a fish club for a group of about 60 inmates (I work in a prison), and they are very knowledgeable and are teaching me a lot about freshwater (that's all they can keep).

So, as I start on this new journey, I want to start a diary. I hope to get input because I am pretty ignorant on this subject, despite the vast amount of reading I have done. I am the kind of person that has to see it in action before I "get it."
So, feel free to give any input. I am adding my first dose of ammonia tonight (1/7/2012), and am from what I can tell, will need to add about 14-15ML to get the levels to around 5.

396453_545650282014_171300591_30798151_1140340326_n.jpg

1/7/2012 - Running filter media from established 50 gallon through 2 out of 3 filter outputs. I currently have a 20/40gallon Regent filter and a 40-60 Aquatech filter. I have a fluval 405, but that thing has been nothing but a PITA, so I am not planning to use it.
Day 1 - 1/7/2012 at 5:30pm - Added ammonia. Current level is 4-5ppm.
Day 2 - 1/8/2012 at 10:30am - Tested ammonia, looks maybe a tad lighter than yesterday's reading. Hoping the other tank media is doing some good. Venturing out to get some creek bed rocks today, will test them and start re-arranging the tank this week.
Day 3 - 1/9/2012 at 8:30pm - Ammonia remaining between 4 and 5ppm. Nitrites reading at 0. Trying to up the temperature a bit.
Day 5 - 01/11/2012 at 7:00pm - Ammonia is about 3, and Nitrite is between 0.25 and 0.50
Day 7 - 1/13/2012 - Ammonia - 0 - 0.25ppm; Nitrite - 5.0 Added about 11ml of ammonia, and will wait for it to drop again
Day 9 - 1/15/2012 at 11:00am - Ammonia-0ppm and Nitrite Above 5ppm. Redosed Ammonia to 4ppm.
Day 10 - 1/16/2012 - Ammonia dropped back to 0 tonight. Redosed to 4ppm.
Day 11 - 1/17/2012 8:00pm - Ammonia dropped back down to 0-0.25, so I redosed to 4ppm. Nitrite is off the charts.
Day 12 - 1/18/2012 at 4:15pm - Ammonia dropped back down to 0-0.25. Redosed to 4ppm. Nitrite is off the charts.
Day 13 - 1/19/2012 at 5:15pm - Ammonia dropped to 0, redosed to 4ppm. Nitrite continues to be off the chart.
Day 14 - 1/20/2012 at 11:30am - Ammonia back down to 0; Nitrite off the charts. Redosed to 4ppm.
Day 15- 1/21/2012 at 11:00am - Ammonia at 0; Nitrite off the chart. Redosed to 4ppm
Day 16 - 1/22/2012 at 10:30am - Ammonia at O; Nitrite off the chart. Redosed to 4ppm
Day 16 - 1/22/2012 at 9:00pm -Ammonia back to O, redosed to 4ppm
Day 17 - 1/23/2012 at 3:30pm - Ammonia at O; Nitrite off the chart; Nitrate at 10ppm, redosed to 4ppm
Day 18 - 1/24/2012 at 3:30pm - Ammonia at O; Nitrite off the chart. Redosed to 4ppm
Day 19 - 1/25/2012 at 3:30pm - Ammonia at O; Nitrite off the chart; Nitrate 10ppm Redosed to 4ppm
Day 20 - 1/26/2012 at 4:00pm - Ammonia at O; Nitrite off the chart; Nitrate between 10 and 20ppm; Redosed to 4ppm
Day 21 - 1/27/2012 at 5:00pm - Ammonia at O; Nitrite off the chart; Nitrate off the chart; Redosed to 4ppm.
Day 22 - 1/28/2012 at 9:00am - Ammonia at O; Nitrite off the chart; Didn't test Nitrates Redosed to 4ppm.

Right now I just have pebble substrate. I am thinking of doing a downhill slope into a sanded bottom. I am picturing it in my head, but not sure if it will look right.

Also, I've been looking at fish at my local store, and they have about 4 tanks of Assorted African Cichlids. From what I can tell, they look to be mbuna. Anyone have any experience with what they sell as "assorted?"

Right now I just have pebble substrate. I am thinking of doing a downhill slope into a sanded bottom. I am picturing it in my head, but not sure if it will look right.

Also, I've been looking at fish at my local store, and they have about 4 tanks of Assorted African Cichlids. From what I can tell, they look to be mbuna. Anyone have any experience with what they sell as "assorted?"

If you can, try and stay away from tanks labelled as 'assorted' as usually they contain poorly bred fish (hybrids) which is best avoided from the beginning. Because at a later date you may want to change the stock in your tank or increase numbers of certain fish/sell them on etc, it really becomes quite difficult if you have a set-up full of hybrid's.Unless you can 100% identify some of the fish and you know they are a true species. Sometimes you can find the odd fish that's a good quality breed of a certain species. When it comes to buying your fish, if you do go to your lfs where the assorted set-up's are take a few pics and post them on here and we can see what's actually in the tanks. You may find some nice fish as i say ( even some hybrids are beautiful looking fish) just depends on whether you want to keep them or not. :good:

If you can, try and stay away from tanks labelled as 'assorted' as usually they contain poorly bred fish (hybrids) which is best avoided from the beginning. Because at a later date you may want to change the stock in your tank or increase numbers of certain fish/sell them on etc, it really becomes quite difficult if you have a set-up full of hybrid's.Unless you can 100% identify some of the fish and you know they are a true species. Sometimes you can find the odd fish that's a good quality breed of a certain species. When it comes to buying your fish, if you do go to your lfs where the assorted set-up's are take a few pics and post them on here and we can see what's actually in the tanks. You may find some nice fish as i say ( even some hybrids are beautiful looking fish) just depends on whether you want to keep them or not. :good:
Thanks for the reply! I've been looking at them every time I go in. Unfortunately it's the only decent store near me. There used to be an awesome shop about an hour from me, but it closed a couple years back. I will definitely do the picture thing. They had some beautifully colored fish, last time I was in there. Hybrids will be fine for me, as it's likely I'll never be able to find certain species without getting them online (which I'm not a fan of).

Thanks for the reply! I've been looking at them every time I go in. Unfortunately it's the only decent store near me. There used to be an awesome shop about an hour from me, but it closed a couple years back. I will definitely do the picture thing. They had some beautifully colored fish, last time I was in there. Hybrids will be fine for me, as it's likely I'll never be able to find certain species without getting them online (which I'm not a fan of).

No worries :). Some places online i think are ok just have to find out which ones are good and which onces are not so good.

wow, bettas to sac??well done great move! :lol:
only joking! loving the tank xxxx
My heart still lies with bettas, but I don't have the room for all of the separate tanks. My dream would be to have my 75 gallon full of male bettas that live harmoniously. :nod: :wub:
But, cichlids are the next best thing. :)

The temp finally raised enough to get things going!
01/11/2012 at 7:00pm - Ammonia is about 3, and Nitrite is between 0.25 and 0.50.

Patience is not one of my virtues, so I'm glad things finally got started. :)

After my cycle is complete, would you all suggest adding all the fish at once or adding a few groups?
My thought process is that if I add all at the same time, from the same tank, I will have less fighting. But, I could be totally off?

Also, for these "assorted" fish, how many would you suggest to go in this tank. I am going to get another 40-60 filter, so I'll be pumping what is enough filtration for a 80-120 gallon tank. Should I overstock a bit to spread aggression?

I'll more than likely be going for the "assorted" tank at this point. I am going to the pet store tonight and will try to get some pics of the tanks to see if I can identify anything.

Suggestions?

After my cycle is complete, would you all suggest adding all the fish at once or adding a few groups?
My thought process is that if I add all at the same time, from the same tank, I will have less fighting. But, I could be totally off?

Also, for these "assorted" fish, how many would you suggest to go in this tank. I am going to get another 40-60 filter, so I'll be pumping what is enough filtration for a 80-120 gallon tank. Should I overstock a bit to spread aggression?

I'll more than likely be going for the "assorted" tank at this point. I am going to the pet store tonight and will try to get some pics of the tanks to see if I can identify anything.

Suggestions?

Hopefully it shouldn't take to long to cycle then :)

I wouldn't add all at once but i would categories it into say 3 to 4 groups, so add 1 group of 6+ fish then another and then another etc.. Until your tank is fully stocked :) Yes your right all your fish would start of fresh in the tank with no tank boss but aggression could start pretty quick as your fish begin to settle and the fish choose their territories. If it was me though i would add group by group, doesn't put the pressure of over loading your filter too.

That will depend on species of fish, but as a ball part figure id say roughly 20 to 30 mbuna (if your filtration is upto the job and weekly maintenance is done without fail) :good:
Yeah try and get some pics up and see what fish they have :)

Just checked my water and Woah!
Ammonia - 0 - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 5.0

Just dosed about 11ml of ammonia which should raise it back up to about 3-4ppm. So,I'm thinking, at this rate, I will be cycled in about 12 more days if all goes right.

Suggestions?

Hopefully it shouldn't take to long to cycle then :)

I wouldn't add all at once but i would categories it into say 3 to 4 groups, so add 1 group of 6+ fish then another and then another etc.. Until your tank is fully stocked :) Yes your right all your fish would start of fresh in the tank with no tank boss but aggression could start pretty quick as your fish begin to settle and the fish choose their territories. If it was me though i would add group by group, doesn't put the pressure of over loading your filter too.

That will depend on species of fish, but as a ball part figure id say roughly 20 to 30 mbuna (if your filtration is upto the job and weekly maintenance is done without fail) :good:
Yeah try and get some pics up and see what fish they have :)
Thanks for the info! I will take your suggestion and add 6 at a time, the only reservation I have, is how quickly I can add the next batch of fish? My local store is having "the biggest sale of the year", and it ends on February 5th. So, say I am cycled by the 25th, I can get 6 then, then how soon could I add another group or 6?

If you want to add more all at once then you could do it, just wouldn't fully stock straight away, You could add more than 6 if you wanted to maybe add groups of 12 each time. So If you added the fish say on the 25th/26th monitor for a week then add another group that will be fine, Just remember to monitor your water stat's if things get a little out of hand add no more fish until its correct and stable again :good:

If you want to add more all at once then you could do it, just wouldn't fully stock straight away, You could add more than 6 if you wanted to maybe add groups of 12 each time. So If you added the fish say on the 25th/26th monitor for a week then add another group that will be fine, Just remember to monitor your water stat's if things get a little out of hand add no more fish until its correct and stable again :good:
Sounds good! I am good with water changes and testing, so I will definitely keep on top of it. I think I may go for about 24 total fish. Adding 12 and then waiting and adding 12 more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back