Starting First Saltwater Aquarium!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Noahsfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have 2.5, 5, 10, 20, and 30 gallon freshwater aquariums set up. I actually just started cycling my 2.5 today. Anyways, my cousin is moving states and gave me his 5 gallon nano tank. After going to my fish store today and glancing through the saltwater area for the millionth time I've decided it's the time. What can I put in a 5 gallon? I know I'm really limited, but are there any fish or small shrimp that can stay in a 5 gallon, (no snails). I want it to be a reef tank but I also want a few critters...what always really catches my eye are these shrimp called blood shrimp. I did a little research and found out about how they're fairly hardy, but hide a lot. Culd I put one in a 5 gallon and nothing else?? I know it says minimum is like 10 or 20, but would it possible to pull off? Or would the water quality just be too unstable for it as I'm guessing...anyways, from just briefly looking up nano tanks it seems a general consensus that clown gobys are great for small aquariums. Could I keep 1 in a 5? Maybe 2?

Being your first salt water tank I highly recommend you avoid starting at a 5 gallon tank. There are no real fish that would go into it and the best you could do is tiny hermit crabs or likewise.

You'd need to keep the water stats prefect which is insanely hard to do so with such little water.

If you want to start marine id recommend a 30gal or more. The more water there is the better.

Could I use a tank that was used for freshwater fish? It's glass, and I know most saltwater tanks are acrylic. I really can't sacrifice my freshwater 30g, and I don't have the space for another....however, I may be able to use a 20 gallon, or would I be better off sticking with 5 gallons until imcould go larger? And anyways, even if i do upgrade, the largest possible tank I could get is 55 gallons and not anything bigger.

Noahsfish said:
Could I use a tank that was used for freshwater fish? It's glass, and I know most saltwater tanks are acrylic. I really can't sacrifice my freshwater 30g, and I don't have the space for another....however, I may be able to use a 20 gallon, or would I be better off sticking with 5 gallons until imcould go larger? And anyways, even if i do upgrade, the largest possible tank I could get is 55 gallons and not anything bigger.

Well, The gear you need to buy is insanely costly and if you go larger you'll have to buy a bigger skimmer, larger powerheads, more live rocks. Best rethink :p

I'm not sure where you heard most saltwater tanks are acrylic. There's certainly no reason you can't use a glass tank.

I agree that a 5 gallon tank is certainly not advised for a beginner. Many, many times more so than freshwater fish, saltwater fish need stability in their water stats, and in a 5 gallon tank even the smallest thing may tip the balance. It will be a constant battle and will suck the enjoyment out of it.

If you do want to do a 5 gallon I suggest a small goby or something and some coral will look awesome.

techen said:

Well, The gear you need to buy is insanely costly and if you go larger you'll have to buy a bigger skimmer, larger powerheads, more live rocks. Best rethink
tongue2.gif

Bigger tanks need a skimmer not small ones my 10 gallon doesn't have one everything is fine.I don't have a powerhead either.But I can agree with you about the live rock.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back