Starting Cycle, Quick Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cutie mcwhiskers

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 163l water in my tank and 35% ammonia solution (from ebay) plugged the numbers into the calculator and got a value of 1.4ml ammonia to add to my tank. So I added it and waited about 1hr then tested and got a value of 1ppm, waited another half hr then tested again just to double check and got 1ppm again??

Got my partner to double check the colour to make sure its not just my eyes :)

Should I just keep adding it until I get a higher reading? Also the API test doesnt have 3ppm so should I just aim for a colour inbetween 2-4ppm?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

First, add 3ppm at one go. Change thw caculator to 3ppm, and add that amount

Seccond, yes, sshoot for an inbetween color.

Your calculation appears correct, so I will ask the obvious question... How certain are you that you have 35% concentration?

Second, are you using the correct number of drops?

Third, are you waiting five minutes before assessing the color to match it to the color chart? The color darkens during those five minutes.

Agreed that you calculations are quite correct at 1.4ml for 35% ammonia for a 163 litre tank.

How are you measuring the dosage of 1.4ml?

Eaglesqaurium's questions of are you waiting the full 5 mins for ammonia results if you are using the Api FW Liquid kit is a good one as well as ensuring your bottle does indeed state 35% strength.

Thats the exact same ammonia I used for my fishless cycle.

Hmm, seems unusual.

What test kit are you using and check the use by date on the packaging.

Maybe you made mistake on dosage on the syringe perhaps.

I'd suggest to wait until tomorrow morning and see if the readings continue to show 1ppm, if so than may say to add 2ppm of ammonia (0.93ml) and see if this raises you ammonia to 3ppm.

Is your tank heavily planted BTW?

In this case, I'd just hold tight.  Better to dose too low than too high.

Tested this morning and still reading 1ppm.

Shall I add a bit more or leave it and see what happens when I add the next dose?

Like I said, better to be a bit too low, than a bit too high.  I'd wait and just boost it up when the ammonia drops below 0.50ppm.  Incidentally, did you test nitrite?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back