Starting a New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Galaxygal21

Reaction score
Hello. I need some help on cycling my fish tank. It's a 3.5 gallon tank I'm putting together for a betta fish. I have the tank with a filter and I want to start a fishless cycle so I can get the nitrogen cycle going. How does one get that started? I heard you can do it with fish food and ammonia but I want to going because I heard it may take it while.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Have you bought the tank yet?
If not, try to get something bigger. The more water the easier it is to keep fish.
If you already have the tank and you only just bought it, perhaps return it and get a bigger tank.

There is some info on fishless cycling at the following link.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

A basic rundown is anything that breaks down in water will produce ammonia. That includes fish food, fish waste, dead plants, snails, basically anything that rots in water produces ammonia and ammonia is toxic to fish. For a fishless cycle, people add some fish food or some liquid ammonia to the tank on a daily basis (or as required), and after about a month the filters develop beneficial bacteria that break down the ammonia and convert it into nitrite and then nitrate.
Most petshops sell ammonia that is designed to cycle a tank.

If you want to do a fish in cycle (have a fish in the tank while the filter develops), then you only feed the fish 2 times a week and change 75% of the water about 4 hours after feeding. You also monitor the water for ammonia and nitrite, and do a 75% water change if you have any ammonia or nitrite readings.

However, as mentioned above, the more water you have, the better it is for everything. Ammonia is more diluted in larger water volumes so the fish are less likely to be exposed to high levels during a fish in cycle or if something goes wrong in an established tank. And the bigger the tank/ the larger volume of water gives you more room to keep other fish if you want to.

I want to do a fishless cycle with fish food and ammonia. So what kind of food (like pellets or flakes) should I use, how much do I put in the tank, as well as the ammonia?

You don't need to use both. You either use ammonia or fish food.

Any type of fish food will work, a couple of flakes, 1 pellet, it doesn't matter. But you do have to monitor the ammonia levels and if they go above 3ppm, do a big water change to dilute it.

Ohh okay. I'll use the fish food then. Also, could I use anything like API Quick Start to help in speeding up the process?

Liquid bacterial supplements do help get things going faster so if you have access to them, then use them. I'm not sure on the instructions for that particular brand, but I normally double dose each day for a week to get things going faster.

Try to add the bacteria supplement to the filter or near the filter intake tube for best results.

If you can get them, Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tim's One & Only are more successful than the API product.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back