Starting A New Nano Aquarium, Need Advice!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

monahan95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I am considering starting up a new nano aquarium (no more than 70lt) and I need some advice on the best way to go about setting it up and what to stock it with? I was thinking along the lines of cardinal tetra'a and some nano shrimp like bee's and cherry's but I would really appreciate any input and ideas you could give me :) Thanks!

THIS may have some more fish ideas for you. You also might like something like spotted blue eyes (pseudomugil gertrudae). :)

That helps a tonne, thanks :) and those spotted blue eyes are beautiful, are they hard to get (aka rare) or would most local fish store be able to order them easily?

Out of my four local LFS, only one stocks decent rainbowfish regularly.  Otherwise you'd have to ask if they can order.

I am quite friendly with the guy that owns my local fish store so i'm sure he could get me some in :)

Definitely doesn't hurt to ask! Check out pseudomugil tenellus as well. Had I known about those before the gertrudae I think I would've gotten them :lol:

Another beautiful fish (IMO) are mosquito rasboras, in a tank of around 70L you could have a decent school of them!
If you stick with nano fish, you could have two schools of fish and a centrepiece, or one big school with a centrepiece. If you had two schools, one school could be of mosquito rasboras or spotted blue eyes, and the other of something like pygmy corys or similar. Your centrepiece fish could be a trio of scarlet badis (these can be difficult to care for as they need to be fed on a diet of livefood) or honey or dwarf gourami. 
70L gives you plenty of room to play around with in terms of nano fish. 
Are you planning on planting the tank? Most fish appreciate the addition of live plants.
Please do make sure to cycle your tank before you go adding any fish (You can find the link for the fishless cycling article in my signature) 
I hope you make a journal of your progress as I would love to see how you get on :)

Blondielovesfish said:
Another beautiful fish (IMO) are mosquito rasboras, in a tank of around 70L you could have a decent school of them!
If you stick with nano fish, you could have two schools of fish and a centrepiece, or one big school with a centrepiece. If you had two schools, one school could be of mosquito rasboras or spotted blue eyes, and the other of something like pygmy corys or similar. Your centrepiece fish could be a trio of scarlet badis (these can be difficult to care for as they need to be fed on a diet of livefood) or honey or dwarf gourami. 
70L gives you plenty of room to play around with in terms of nano fish. 
Are you planning on planting the tank? Most fish appreciate the addition of live plants.
Please do make sure to cycle your tank before you go adding any fish (You can find the link for the fishless cycling article in my signature) 
I hope you make a journal of your progress as I would love to see how you get on
smile.png

These are all really good ideas, thanks :) love the mosquito rasboras never seen them before, and yes I always use live plants in my aquariums due to the significant benefits it has on a tank.

oh and of course fishless cycling is the only way to cycle in my opinion. 

i would suggest a bout 6 of what ever shrimp u want and about 10 endlers guppy males

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back