Starting A Dwarf Snakehead Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jamie1986

Reaction score
:good: :good: Needing advice on starting a dwarf snakehead set up, orientalis or gachau. Tank is 80cm x 35cm x 45cm, holds 120 litre. How many of either species could I keep and how would I decorate this tank, also where in Scotland would I find them. Any help would be appreciated. :good:

Yep welcome to the forum buddy, thanks for the email. Ive replied, The problem being your from scotland is needing to obtain a liecence to keep snakeheads,,,so id advise applying first for you license first, last time i knew it was still free. worth applying for, does not take long so i understand, it just proves to the goverment that your responsible enough to keep them, that way usually people making the effort to apply for things will not throw them away into a water source, then if you do, we shall put you in contact with breeders in Scotland, this way you dont end up with some 3-4 foot monster fish

If you go ahead with it

Oh yeah best i inform you now, always forget, channa are escape artists, ensure any small gap/hole. are fully covered, either with something like gaffa tape or bung it up well,use cloth<old ripped tshirt in mine, crammed in the tape over, If you do find ones escaped place it back in tank first, before thinking its dead, they have the ability to stay alive out of water, even when dried...Just another member just said his escaped and found them dried up this morning, shame, but reminds me to remind others..Duckweed is a cheap and good option which may help them feel more secure,get a full covering in the tank,also the more planted the tank the better..

If you go ahead with it

Oh yeah best i inform you now, always forget, channa are escape artists, ensure any small gap/hole. are fully covered, either with something like gaffa tape or bung it up well,use cloth<old ripped tshirt in mine, crammed in the tape over, If you do find ones escaped place it back in tank
first, before thinking its dead, they have the ability to stay
alive out of water, even when dried...Just another member just said his escaped and found them dried
up this morning, shame, but reminds me to remind
others..Duckweed is a cheap and good option which may
help them feel more secure,get a full covering in the
tank,also the more planted the tank the better..
Wow sounds like you know alot about this :)
Can I keep one in California ??
And does this duck weed get out of control??

Yes duckweed easily gets out of control, you have to keep on top of it, but at same time its great in my oppinion.

As to Keeping snakeheads in America no they are illegal, Most places in Canada is ok, but a few again illegal, same in Australia, also

channa argus is illegal to keep in the UK aswell

Yes duckweed easily gets out of control, you have to keep on top of it, but at same time its great in my oppinion.

As to Keeping snakeheads in America no they are illegal, Most places in Canada is ok, but a few again illegal, same in Australia, also

channa argus is illegal to keep in the UK aswell
Man that sucks I really wanted one and was looking forward to it

Well you could be lucky, however, first of how many fish tanks do you have? sizes? just i have some of your posts, you seem to go after some whoppers :lol:
I too like big fish,but you need to be realistic in what you can actually keep comfortable. Theres people who are fish keepers then theres fish havers....
Not being rude just trying to help, however you could look into getting a cracking substitute, theres pike cichlids, commonly avalible and look quite similar to snakeheads, then you have a favourite of mine, Native to North America, so your in luck, its just finding them, google, amia calva.....oh i sooo want one.. :drool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ZkVtxOR3c&feature=player_embedded#at=24

Amia_calva_4.jpg

Well you could be lucky, however, first of how many fish tanks do you have? sizes? just i have some of your posts, you seem to go after some whoppers :lol:
I too like big fish,but you need to be realistic in what you can actually keep comfortable. Theres people who are fish keepers then theres fish havers....
Not being rude just trying to help, however you could look
into getting a cracking substitute, theres pike cichlids,
commonly avalible and look quite similar to snakeheads,
then you have a favourite of mine, Native to North America,
so your in luck, its just finding them, google, amia
calva.....oh i sooo want one.. :drool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=k4ZkVtxOR3c&feature=player_embedded#at=24
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/
_calva_4.jpg

No I understand your not trying to be rude but it bothers me that some people think I'm lying about it why would anyone lie about fish I understand something worth fighting for but fish c'mon?as much as I enjoy the hobby and have for the past 7years I don't think lying about wat u have is cool, who would I lie to it's the internet for god sakes why would I try to impress people I don't know with bs? That would work if I were a troll, or didn have a life I came to this form for help and talk to other keepers not to people who lie about it.anyways I actually have them I have my fahaka puffer in a130 gallon
And my fire eel and hujeta are in a 125 gallon tank
I wish I could keep them all together but my fahaka iis just too mean :(
I collect diff types of fish and when someone comes around my house a friend of relative and like the fish I give them away or sell them and get diff fish and well my fire eel has been with me since it looked similiar too an earthworm so I can't get rid of him :)
As for other fish I really don't mind, but getting rid of my puffer well be ok and puut something else in that tank and I was thinking of snake heads. But their illegal :(

And believe me if they were to be uncomftorable I wouldnt bother trying to get them I have been wanting an aro for a long time now and well knowing I can't house it to adult hood I don't want to get it as a baby and get rid of it wen it gets big that would be kinda hard for me to do call it whimpu but wen I get attached to something like my fire eel its hard for me to be away from it I sit with my daughter In front of my tank and watch my eel swim up to the surface and it's fun because it's not shy at all

These bowfin really need a 7ft tank, males at 26inches, females nearly 36inchs max.... so bigger the better
I don't mean it in a rude way it's just people talk or assume things without knowing and I like to be real with people and say it straight out it's not directly to you thank you for answering my questions:) I appreciate it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back