Stand Build...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Meko

Reaction score
Apparently I signed up here four years, probably when I had my last tank, but I got bored and decided that I had to do something daft...

After selling my 4ft tank a couple of years ago I picked up a 2x2x2 tank but never got round to setting it up and ended up giving it to one of my mates as part payment for doing my clutch. He then gave me his old tank but it's a poncy little thing and I don't like poncy little things; and that's when I really should have stopped thinking, but no!

So an idea formed and eBay appeared on my laptop followed by some bidding. 28 lengths of 4x2 ranging from 2.5ft to 7ft, for £25. I managed to fit it all in the MR2 as well and just about managed to get home before it started raining as half of it was hanging out of the T-Bar!

DSCF0093.jpg

I've also got a couple of crested geckos and a whites tree frog, so the build idea was to incorporate their vivs, which was the determining factor for the overall size. Just over 6ft long and 2.6ft high to allow me to split the underneath and fit in three 18x18x24 vivs; which was one of the reasons I went for 4x2 timber. So the build started

Top and bottom frames, 22 inches deep if I remember correctly.
DSCF0101.jpg

Then add lots of lovely struts to strengthen it

DSCF0103.jpg

some aren't straight but the lager was going down pretty smoothly so they were as straight as I could see at the time. Then attach some sides

DSCF0105.jpg

They kind of look bigger than you expect when you see it taking shape, but it was too late by this time. The plan also changed, with it being so high I decided to put the tank on the bottom and the vivs on the top, so if anything did happen it wouldn't have far to fall. It also meant I didn't have to do it as big, but at least if it comes to it, I can move in there myself.

So I had the frame

DSCF0111.jpg

and off to B&Q for some 18mm MDF. Not the best choice obviously but it'll be primed and painted and protected so hopefully it'll be fine if it gets wet. Due the the car and lack of room, I had to get creative on the cutting, but then it started going together

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

Sides on

DSCF0115.jpg

and finished the MDF today

DSCF0118.jpg

To keep the shape before I got the back cut I attached a piece of scrap MDF I had and managed to thread a screw which won't come out; hence the gaps. So I'm sticking to my excuse that they're for cables!
Although I have a plan to cover them. As my tank isn't as deep as the cabinet I can get away with a couple of off cuts of the 4x2 and attach a 60x18x18 sheet of ply painted black and grey as a background. I also want to drill holes in it and fit blue LED's for night lights so the light comes through the tank rather than down it. Not sure how it'll look but only time will tell!

I had to re-arrange the room to fit it in till it's in use. I said it was big but you can tell properly on this picture

DSCF0116.jpg

So the next job is the 'this is what happens when you use reclaimed timber' job and filling in all the gaps... That'll be fun! then it's painting time before fitting the tank and deciding what to fill it with.

the tank incidentally is this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280727629198?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I won't need everything it comes with so I can sell some on to recoup some of the money. Although I'd prefer something higher so that's the tank I'll be using unless I find a cheap taller one before I finish the stand.

Knew I'd forget something; it's also on 11 heavy duty castors which hold about 100kg each. I put it on castors because I want to redo my floor at some point and it'll need to be moved; they're on the frame but hidden by the skirt.

Cool build, I like the idea of having multiple setups all housed together in 1 spot. I'd like to try this someday, so I can stop having a tank in every room and just have them all in 1 spot.

NIICELY DONE!!! Like the idea of strengthening at the back too with decent thickness MDF

One thing however, are you going to varnish it with some waterproofing? MDF + water = BAD TIMES!!

ths looks awesome - cant wait to see it finished!

NIICELY DONE!!! Like the idea of strengthening at the back too with decent thickness MDF

One thing however, are you going to varnish it with some waterproofing? MDF + water = BAD TIMES!!

+1

MDF + Water = Something resembling stiff but soggy cardboard that is completely useless!

Cheers for the comments so far, I did mention the MDF but stuck it between a couple of the pictures so it probably got missed.
Once i've filled in the gaps I need to prime, paint and protect the MDF. Although for the tank section I might go for a marble effect lino which should help keep the moisture out and look a lot nicer.

nice one, i spotted that wood myself and nearly went for it :)

yeah it was cheap enough (although he did have a few different batches on there as well), but because it's reclaimed it isn't all straight.

... and then the painting started. Because it was MDF I knew it'd be a bit more of a mission to paint it but I didn't think it'd be that hard.
I started with a couple of layers of MDF primer.. Although I should pay more attention to working things out; I picked up a 2.5litre tin as I thought a few layers might need a lot but I was wrong. I've got practically a full tin left.

DSCF0120.jpg

On Thursday I was at work in a clients office and spotted a black MFC cabinet which was all black and shiny. I like black shiny things so I decided that's what I'd go for and as it's MDF I thought an external gloss would be a better idea. Unfortunately somebody didn't tell the MDF what the plan was, and after the first coat we had

DSCF0121.jpg

Something wasn't going to plan, after the third coat in one place it was starting to look a little better but would still need a lot more. I ended up trying undercoat - the black gloss still didn't like it; and then I tried some grey paint and it was a bit better but would still need a few coats... So to cheat I nipped to B&Q to buy some matt black emulsion.

After the first coat it was starting to look the right colour
DSCF0122.jpg

A coat of the gloss again
DSCF0125.jpg

DSCF0127.jpg

yep! finally getting there

Although as you can just see on the last picture I need to do the sides, should be dry enough later for another coat of gloss.

All should be up and cycling by the end of the week..

Looking good, looking forward to seeing it progress :) I've recently built my own stand. something quite satisfying about it

... and then the painting started. Because it was MDF I knew it'd be a bit more of a mission to paint it but I didn't think it'd be that hard.
I started with a couple of layers of MDF primer.. Although I should pay more attention to working things out; I picked up a 2.5litre tin as I thought a few layers might need a lot but I was wrong. I've got practically a full tin left.

DSCF0120.jpg

On Thursday I was at work in a clients office and spotted a black MFC cabinet which was all black and shiny. I like black shiny things so I decided that's what I'd go for and as it's MDF I thought an external gloss would be a better idea. Unfortunately somebody didn't tell the MDF what the plan was, and after the first coat we had

DSCF0121.jpg

Something wasn't going to plan, after the third coat in one place it was starting to look a little better but would still need a lot more. I ended up trying undercoat - the black gloss still didn't like it; and then I tried some grey paint and it was a bit better but would still need a few coats... So to cheat I nipped to B&Q to buy some matt black emulsion.

After the first coat it was starting to look the right colour
DSCF0122.jpg

A coat of the gloss again
DSCF0125.jpg

DSCF0127.jpg

yep! finally getting there

Although as you can just see on the last picture I need to do the sides, should be dry enough later for another coat of gloss.

All should be up and cycling by the end of the week..

i would waterproof it as well. a coat of vinyl or summat to stop the diasterous effects of water and MDF

I'm going to put tiles of vinyl down for the tank to go one, but the exterior gloss is water resistant. I've also got half a tin of yacht varnish as well so I could give the base a going over with that.

I'm going to put tiles of vinyl down for the tank to go one, but the exterior gloss is water resistant. I've also got half a tin of yacht varnish as well so I could give the base a going over with that.

fairy nuff, i would still oput down a layer of clingfilm or summin like that for extra protection.

You can't have a wife/gf cos no woman would allow that unit to built in her livingroom...or if you do she's given up trying to stop you playing with your tools in the house :lol:

Good job though :good:

I wouldn't think cling film would offer much protection, but I suppose, cling film, water resistant paint, yacht varnish and tiles... should keep it pretty safe

You can't have a wife/gf cos no woman would allow that unit to built in her livingroom...or if you do she's given up trying to stop you playing with your tools in the house :lol:

haha, nope i live alone and the mortgage is in my name, so they wouldn't get a choice in it anyway.. lol

haha, nope i live alone and the mortgage is in my name, so they wouldn't get a choice in it anyway.. lol

Lol I knew it

Think the boat varnish should be enough ;)

Most reactions

Back