Stabbed by fish... Should I go to Hospital?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had been missing a GBR for a while and today I cleaned the tank and found him stuck to a sponge filter. He was dead and the only thing left really were his scales, bones, spiny things. I had grabbed the sponge filter not knowing he was on there and got poked by his spiny things or bones. I'm really scared. Are they venomous? Should I go to the ER?

Well, unless the spines or bones of the fish actually broke the skin of your hand or finger then would not worry too much.

Keep an eye on the area of your hand or fingers. If any swelling or redness occurs then you may reconsider.

Though must stress it would be unusual if anything would occur, there is a small chance that a reaction may occur, so would not panic or anything at all. Just keep an eye on things and don't worry too much at all.

Well, unless the spines or bones of the fish actually broke the skin of your hand or finger then would not worry too much.

Keep an eye on the area of your hand or fingers. If any swelling or redness occurs then you may reconsider.

Though must stress it would be unusual if anything would occur, there is a small chance that a reaction may occur, so would not panic or anything at all. Just keep an eye on things and don't worry too much at all.
Ok thank you. No blood when it poked and I don't think it broke skin.

So mad since he was the male in my last pair of GBR's.

It really hurts to get spined, ever been noodling?

It's where you swim down the river and stick your hands into holes to get a cat to bite you so you can pull it out.

Its not for the faint of heart. I quit years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It's illegal in some states.

(I fixed the title for you.)

On the subject of going to the hospital, generally no. If it were poisonous, you'd know it by the pain involved. A little hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound and you should be just fine. Just keep an eye on it as Ch4 said, just in case. Reactions are possible, but extremely rare.

Fish TB is always a risk but a rather low one, just keep an eye out for any swelling.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back