Squared off guppy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

maybe you will find a few more fry theyā€™re really good at hiding when it comes to breeding live bearing fish live plants are not always better fake plants can also be as beneficial .

You really need to put lots of live plant in an aquarium to be able to save a good number of fry if the adult fish are not well fed they can and will push through the soft plants and eat their new born.

There are so many types of fake plant that can be bought from your local pet shop Spawning mats are good and can be put on the bottom or on the sides of the tank itā€™s ideal for the fry making it difficult for the adults to get in , the best spawning Media to use for most livebearers is plastic pot and pan scourers

Thank you! I list sight if the little one and havenā€™t seen him since, but he is really cute!

Just got back from the LFS, didnā€™t look for him again yet.

Attachments

• D06B7A9B-AA8F-4582-AFE0-F40B3F1BD2C5.jpeg
    D06B7A9B-AA8F-4582-AFE0-F40B3F1BD2C5.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 34C3942B-ACCF-4525-A2C8-7731A3C8EA8C.jpeg
    34C3942B-ACCF-4525-A2C8-7731A3C8EA8C.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 236
Oooh cool! Itā€™s been a couple days (sorry) and Iā€™ve been watching for any fry..but so far I havenā€™t seen anyone since I lost sight of the little fry. Iā€™m afraid he was eaten, or still hiding like a fish ninja XD
Also, since I noticed the fry, my guppy (her name is equinox, I feel weird just calling her ā€œguppyā€) hasnā€™t really changed shape as much as Iā€™ve seen in othersā€™ fish, and she still has a rather dark (in my opinion) gravid spot. Does this mean anything? Should I be concerned? I have not once moved her from the main tank.

Thanks you guys!

Attachments

• B771D032-6944-400D-AAFB-F398A242B9AC.jpeg
    B771D032-6944-400D-AAFB-F398A242B9AC.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 247
if you have other female guppies in the tank, maybe one of them gave birth to the little one in the tank.

Hi!
Sorry to say, but right now sheā€™s the only female. (I admit I bought her impulsively). Iā€™m almost certain the little one was eaten...
She still looks the same as before, no change in shape, still a dark gravid spot.
Is it possible for her to have only had a few early and held the rest?
I can find her most of the time around her favorite corner, pecking at the tank side like usual, but sheā€™s still skiddish..
Thanks!

Attachments

• 58BC5B6A-DDD3-447D-9F87-88FE6ABB7AF6.jpeg
    58BC5B6A-DDD3-447D-9F87-88FE6ABB7AF6.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 5CA9A54B-9F31-4ADE-8E37-C06D258FC1CB.jpeg
    5CA9A54B-9F31-4ADE-8E37-C06D258FC1CB.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
It is possible for a female to release a few fry a day or two before giving birth to the main brood they can also produce all their young over period of 2 days. After they've finished giving birth they usually look slimmer occasionally some females stay plump and still have the appearance of being gravid ,

Hi!
So does that mean it could be either? I first saw the fry on Saturday night, so itā€™s been quite a while...

it's very unlikely that she is going to have any more fry she probably gave birth to all of them last Saturday

if you have other fish in the tank the chances are that all of the fry were eaten. the best way to get fry from a guppy is put the her in a little tank on her own about one week before she's due to give birth with plenty of plants and keep her well fed.

Hi!
Thanks. She still looks the same, gravid spot and all, so Iā€™ll just tell myself no more fry and just keep an eye on her.

Hi guys! Seeing how itā€™s been a few days, thought I should update on the situation...
No questions, but she still looks the same.
Thank you guys for helping me and answering my many questions.
Again this is just an update so no questions I need answered.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 4BADEECA-C85D-440D-BBD8-79FE9167EC15.jpeg
    4BADEECA-C85D-440D-BBD8-79FE9167EC15.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 233
If the fish in the picture was taken yesterday or today then she appears to be getting bigger and could release more fry in the next few days. Make sure there are lots of plants in the tank for her and the babies to hide in.

If she continues to get bigger and doesn't give birth in the next few weeks, she could have intestinal worms. A lot of fish carry worms in their digestive tract and if there are lots of worms in the fish, the fish can look fat like it is pregnant.

You can deworm them with Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. and Levamisole to treat some types of thread/ round worms. Do not use the medications together. You treat the tank once a week for 3 weeks and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24-48 hours after treatment. You need to do 3 treatments with each medication to kill off baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish.

But give the fish a couple more weeks and see if she gives birth.

Thanks!
I had kept a 10-20 gallon tank years ago when I was younger, and I got the guppies from my next door neighbor who also had a problem with population. Anyway, the tank was later given away, but since it was so long ago, I lost any knowledge of guppies I had before (the reason I joined this awesome forum).
So basically, I had no idea what was going on with equinox, and I was quite worried, and yes I had heard about worms before.
Thank you for your advice. Are the medications something I have to order or do they commonly sell them in stores?
Also, how long does it take for symptoms or signs of intestinal worms to appear?

Most reactions

trending

Back