The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi again!

So I’ve been watching my female guppy closely now and I noticed she got bigger but I still can’t tell if she would be “squared off” or if it’s just her shape. If someone could tell me if this would classify as “squared off”, I would appreciate it.
Also sorry for the blurriness, she wouldn’t stay still!
Thx!!

Attachments

• 1799DCCD-9376-40F6-8461-816DF165D618.jpeg
    1799DCCD-9376-40F6-8461-816DF165D618.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 61BA7D49-539A-40B0-8391-C30021727DD0.jpeg
    61BA7D49-539A-40B0-8391-C30021727DD0.jpeg
    676.4 KB · Views: 293
She is pregnant but not squared off.

Fish don't like bright light and some fish are shy whereas others are more outgoing. Most fish won't stay still to let you photograph them because it is not natural for a lot of them.

Thank you, I have tank light on and I lightened the image to try to make it easier to see, thank you again!

Hi, it’s been a while since I was last here!
I know I ask a lot of questions that probably seem off I guess, but would you say my guppy would get much bigger than this?

Attachments

• 541B4767-5C2A-4481-AE61-EA05FEC4FD7F.jpeg
    541B4767-5C2A-4481-AE61-EA05FEC4FD7F.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 0FB56571-9FF6-49BD-8873-5252ABC29A79.jpeg
    0FB56571-9FF6-49BD-8873-5252ABC29A79.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 285
She might get a bit bigger but she is pretty fat now. I would guess she will give birth in the next week, probably sooner.

Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank for her and the babies to hide in. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for livebearers. It floats and grows rapidly but can also be planted.

When she has had the babies you can use a small plastic container to scoop them out and put them in a breeding net or another tank. Do not lift the babies out of the water.

Do not lift the mother out of the water at this stage because you can cause her to go into labour prematurely. Just leave her be in a well planted tank and let nature take its course.

Last edited:
Sure thing, thank you!

And I’m back again, another question if you guys don’t mind: what are some behaviors my guppy would show soon before having fry? I’ve read some, but they all say things like “might do this” or “not all the time”. Are there any things you know for certain she would do?

I know every fish and every tank is different, but since this is my first time having something like this happen, I would like to do the best I can.

Thanks so much!

As a general rule most female livebearers will try to find a quiet area with lots of plants to give birth in. The plants can be floating or growing in the substrate and the fish will use either.

They regularly give birth at night because it is harder for other fish to see the babies and mother while she is in labour. However, they can give birth at any time of day.

That's it. Fish, like people can have babies at any time of the day or night and sometimes everything goes well, and sometimes it doesn't go well.

The best thing for them is a clean tank with regular water changes and lots of plants to hide in.

Thank you, I’ll have to watch her carefully now!

IMG_3191 (640x480).jpgIMG_3204 (480x640).jpg

A squared off guppy one hour before giving birth not all females square of the same way. they can vary in shape and size depending on many factors the one in the photo has been fed heavily on live foods I like to feed them well a few days before they are going to give birth this way they're be less chance of them eating the fry. Not all female guppies eat their own Young some will totally ignore their babies and others will try to eat them as quick as they are giving birth. you can expect an average size female to produce 30 + fry Gestation Period for a brood of Guppies is every 4 weeks however can vary depending on temperature they can take a wide range of temperature they do best when kept between 20f and 24f usually living longer and having a healthier life.

As already mentioned plenty of plants on the bottom of tank and especially on the surface of the water a good time to check for any new born fry is early in the morning and evening after the first 24 hours of giving birth most of the fry will be in the plants at the surface and should be strong enough to get away from female and take cover.

hope this helps,

Gestation Period for a brood of Guppies is every 4 weeks however can vary depending on temperature they can take a wide range of temperature they do best when kept between 20f and 24f usually living longer and having a healthier life.
I reckon that is a typo and should be 20C and 24C :)

Yes, thank you!

This is her now, it’s only been a few days so she hasn’t changed much, though she does enjoy hanging out in the back of the tank but still always comes to the front.

Are fake plants ok for the fry to hide in?

Again, thank you!

Attachments

• 43085B6B-9CFC-44C7-8010-4AF5364C1A07.jpeg
    43085B6B-9CFC-44C7-8010-4AF5364C1A07.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 261
I found a single fry today! I didn’t expect it to be so small! I only found one though, I think the others ate the rest or the guppy still has more to go, but she seems so skinny now..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back