Spring water to tap -- help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaFigureItOut

Reaction score
Hello! My betta is dying very quickly. His fins are almost completely gone. He used to live in a 10 gallon tank. I thought he might like some females in there... boy was I wrong! The females are healthy, but he started dying quick. I took him out right away and put him in a large vase with the tank water, which was dirty tank spring water. I treated him with fungal cure. (The levels all looked good in the tank, despite being dirty, except for the hardness. I started gravel vacuuming daily with 25% water changes for about a week. Levels are better now.) I then mixed the water slowly with fresh spring water that was warmed first to the same temp. Slowly, I got him into 100% spring water. The cottony stuff on his tail finally started falling off, along with large chunks of his tail.

I bought him his own tank, a Bettaflo 3.5 gallon, which turned out to be a lie. It only holds 2 gallons, and he hates the filter. I had to turn it off. The heater was also a lie that I bought for the correct tank size. The water kept getting hotter and hotter, never regulating the temp until it got to about 85 degrees F. I had to cool it to 80-82 with a plastic container of icecream that I rinsed well first. I took the heater out. I conditioned the spring water with stress coat and an instant start bacteria cycle mix. This time, I added erythromycin in the correct dose to the tank. Aquarium salt, fugus cure, and betta fix all hurt him further, so I don't think they are very good to use with bettas, actually. I waited 24 hours, then I put him in the tank. He's been in there for two days now. I'm also treating the girls' tank. One of my new females died yesterday, but the 4 that remain all seem to be doing very well. My plants are looking good, too.

The instructions said to treat again after 24 hours and to remove the carbon filter thing, so I did that. Now it says to do a 25% water change. I can't get anymore spring water as there is a snow storm happening here. I've decided to give tap water another chance, even though I think it's a little hard where I live. I've decided to purchase almond leaves off of the internet so maybe they will help soften the water. I conditioned and added the ready start stuff to the about 10 gallons of water yesterday, and added it to yet another tank that looks just like the Bettaflo 3.5 gallon. It's supposed to let you filter it with plants. I was planning to use this to grow betta food and some cool plants, as I don't think that filter system really works unless you know what you're doing. These tanks really suck and are hella loud actually. I'm super disappointed.

So, I set up the spare tank yesterday, and I'm wondering -- since the filter has been off... should I just move him to this other tank tonight with more medicine? I'm thinking it doesn't make sense to do the 25% water change in a tank that is not cycled and not filtered. I think he needs more of a change. So I'm heating up the spare tank to the temp his tank currently is, and can I just transfer him into it? Will this stress him out too much? I don't want another dead betta. I always have to learn things the hard way it seems. Idk wtf I'm doing, but I want healthy, not dead fish with ragged tails!

Hi, I am not confident enough in my knowledge to help you with research, but how big is the tank you were housing the females in? If it's under 40 gallons, I would immediately separate them to prevent further stress.

If it's under 40 gallons, I would immediately separate them to prevent further stress.
Depends on the number of females.

I conditioned the spring water with stress coat and an instant start bacteria cycle mix. This time, I added erythromycin in the correct dose to the tank. Aquarium salt, fugus cure, and betta fix all hurt him further,
STOP adding chemicals what you are doing will kill him.

What sort of bottled water is it?

I'm also treating the girls' tank.

What are you treating?

"Depends on the number of females."

I have 4 in a 10 gallon medium planted cycled tank that is harder water than I'd like.

"STOP adding chemicals what you are doing will kill him."

Now, he's in nothing but conditioned tap water with the correct dose of beneficial bacteria and the correct dose of erythomycin which I will be using for one full course. I slowly acclimated him to the other hospital tank with prepared tap water over several hours by floating him in a cup of the spring water he was in with the prepared tap water by about 10% every 15 minutes. It was truly nerve wracking...

I am now totally against aquarium salt and betta fix. I will never again use those chemicals with my bettas. His tail was falling apart literally before my eyes! I've never seen anything like that before!

"What sort of bottled water is it?"

I am slowly acclimating them from Poland spring water to conditioned tap water. I will no longer be using spring water because it's too difficult to get in snow storms.

"What are you treating?"

Whatever killed the fifth female betta (I think she had TB) and bacterial fin rot. I am treating them with the same prepared, heated water and medication as the separated male.

I've discovered what a challenge it is to heat the water you add to the tank to the same temperature as the tank. You almost need an extra heater just to heat the water you plan to add! What i will be doing going forward is heating some of the prepared water on the stove in a special sterilized pan and then I borrow the thermometer to match everything up before I add it. I let the water sit with the conditioner and bacteria starter for 24 hours before I use it or heat it or anything. I first tried to borrow the heaters from the tanks and put it in the large bucket and other hospital tank I have, but it's so cold here that the 10 gallon tank temperature dropped by almost 10 degrees in 2 hours. I hope heating the conditioned water manually is okay.

The female bettas' stress lines are finally gone as of today after that horrible water heating experiment with removing their heater, and I'm also finally seeing signs of fin regrowth in them! The females don't fight, which is nice. They seem to have established territories and a pecking order in even in just a medium planted 10 gallon tank. In there are a few large floating anubus nanas, some sunken ones too, a large lily pad, an Amazon sword I just cut back quite a bit, two floating logs, one cave with an anubus growing out of it, a leaf hammock, a moss ball, and two fake silk plants in front of the filter in there. I want whatever tank they go into next or stay in to be more heavily planted with more floating logs and caves so they'll be really happy. The lily pad was something I grew from bulbs, and I threw out two of them as they were rotting, and the bulb to the large lily I kept. I think they were funking up my water. This white stuff is trying to grow on the anubus and lights... I think that's pretty bad. I keep cleaning it off, and it keep coming back... ugh!!!

The male is not showing signs of fin regrowth but he is active again, and his tail and fins are no longer falling apart before my eyes. It looks like his color and slime coat are returning. It doesn't look like it's still progressing, except the tiny cotton patch sort of floating off of his head. You have to really look very carefully to even see it.

The 10 gallon tank does seem small for the females. Maybe time to upgrade? 40 gallons would be cool. What would be the ideal number of female bettas to have in it?

I've been doing 100% changes for the male betta between two 3.5 gallon tanks every 2 days while medicating. I then clean the other tank and prepare more water in it. I removed the center pieces and filters as he didn't like them while he's trying to heal. I'm planning to upgrade him to a 5 gallon tank and make a bubble filter, or maybe he can go back in the 10 gallon, and I'll upgrade the females. Never again will I purchase small round tanks. They are useful as hospital tanks and maybe for growing betta food and plants, but not for very large bettas with active, curious personalities like mine. The small tanks do look lovely in my kitchen, but I can't really see my betta in it without getting dizzy. I imagine he feels the same looking out.

For the female tank, I've been doing 30% water changes every two days with gravel vac while I'm medicating the tank and acclimating them to conditioned tap water.

The females are doing well. The male is returning to his normal personality more or less.

I still see cottony stuff even growing on his head!!! But I'm hoping after the full course of the antibiotic that the cotton stuff will go away. I'm also not using any lights on his tank because my kitchen is well lit enough.

Also, how many betta food pellets should I feed per day:

1. An unusually large male betta
2. Young small female bettas
3. A large older female betta

I can't wait to start a little colony of blood worms for them! I'm looking into other kinds of food to grow as well. I'm also looking forward to the Indian almond leaves arriving that I ordered!

I *would* take the advice of separating the females immediately, but I'd rather upgrade to a larger tank if that's really needed. Also, if I separate them now, they'll freeze to death by morning unless I float all of them in cups in the heated tank. That will just stress them out more though, I think. Their stress lines are gone, and they are active, so they are probably okay for now.

Last edited:
Hi

My Sorority tank is a 6 foot 100 gallon with 5 females. The big tank in my signature.

Holy crap! They must be really happy. Don't you want to add more though? Are they very expensive or special females? That must be a lot of work and expensive to keep up or is it lower maintenance the larger the tank you go?

Sadly, I can't get the forum app to work, and I can't see your signature. Would you mind posting a picture? I'd love to see your set up!

I just stalked your profile page to see your tanks. How long did it take to get those plants to grow so big, and about how much money did it cost to establish that tank so well??? Well done!

Last edited:
I'm so obsessed with my male fish! I just checked on him. He was sleeping on the single anubus nana I put in his tank. I woke him up just to be sure he isn't dead. He woke right up. I can see the water is cloudy from the antibiotics, but I can see him well enough to see that all of the cotton crap growing on him is gone! I think he's going to be okay.

GPEWjJO.jpg

My sorority tank. They are just ordinary girls. No plan on getting more.

The plants are Blue Stricta and cost $6 for a bunch I got 2 bunches cut them in half and planted then takes about 4 months to grow in like that.

GPEWjJO.jpg

My sorority tank. They are just ordinary girls. No plan on getting more.

The plants are Blue Stricta and cost $6 for a bunch I got 2 bunches cut them in half and planted then takes about 4 months to grow in like that.

I've never even heard of that plant... I'm going to look into it. What do you think is the min. acceptable size tank for 4 females? Also, any reason why you don't add more females? Are they just doing well, and you sort of don't want to mess with something that is working well? This fish project of mine is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare. My females are still doing well, but the cotton stuff has returned on the male. He can't seem to shake it, and I'm not sure what to do with the 3.5 gallon tanks. I have a dying orchids I am thinking of sticking in the aquaponics tank. Fish are not fun anymore for me. I have this reoccurring nightmare about them dying every night.

What do you think is the min. acceptable size tank for 4 females?
Honestly 15 gallon 2 foot,

Thanks! I'll be upgrading them soon. I just transferred the male into the other hospital tank for hopefully the last time. After this, I want to put him back in the 10 gallon, and I'm thinking of putting the females in anywhere from a 20-40 gallon tank with 1-3 more of them.

I returned the largest female who was a turning into a bully. Now there are 3 females that are the same size in the 10 gallon tank. They are doing well!

My male is still alive, too! His tail has what looks like beautiful, feathery regrowth. I can't believe before he had almost lost his tail and fins... they were shredding before my eyes! I'm so happy he's doing well. I was having fish nightmares, and now I'm not. *flashback of fishtank nightmare from last night* okay, nevermind I'm still having nightmares about fishtanks. Lol

I am so pleased to report both tanks are healthy at present. Smaller than ideal, but healthy. No vertical stripes on the females, so I think they're happy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back