Spotted Silver Dollars (metynnis Lippincottianus)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kuruptedseed

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I purchased a pair of fish labeled silver dollars. As they matured they delveloped medium sized spots on their bodies along with reddish hues on thier fins.. Beautiful I may add! So when I upgraded to a larger tank I wanted to add a few more.. A year later I bought 3 more from the same lfs thinking the fish labeled "silver dollar" would be the same beautiful fish I bought a year previous.. Well after about 6-8 months I knew this was a different species.. Even thou they were still a beautiful fish I liked the spots and colors of my mystery fish.. I've since researched and found them to be the spotted silver dollar.. When I asked the folks at the lfs why the mix up they claim that sometimes these rare fish get mixed in with similar looking juvenile silver dollars.. They also told me that they are very rare when I asked if I could special order them.. basically saying just hope my pair makes babies... Thats not what I wanted to hear!! Is anyone out there familiar with spotted silver dollars or know of any breeders that have them? I would really like to add 2 or 3 more but i'm stumped on how to get them.. Help!!!!!!!

Thanks all

About 2 years ago I purchased a pair of fish labeled silver dollars. As they matured they delveloped medium sized spots on their bodies along with reddish hues on thier fins.. Beautiful I may add! So when I upgraded to a larger tank I wanted to add a few more.. A year later I bought 3 more from the same lfs thinking the fish labeled "silver dollar" would be the same beautiful fish I bought a year previous.. Well after about 6-8 months I knew this was a different species.. Even thou they were still a beautiful fish I liked the spots and colors of my mystery fish.. I've since researched and found them to be the spotted silver dollar.. When I asked the folks at the lfs why the mix up they claim that sometimes these rare fish get mixed in with similar looking juvenile silver dollars.. They also told me that they are very rare when I asked if I could special order them.. basically saying just hope my pair makes babies... Thats not what I wanted to hear!! Is anyone out there familiar with spotted silver dollars or know of any breeders that have them? I would really like to add 2 or 3 more but i'm stumped on how to get them.. Help!!!!!!!

Thanks all

I have 3 pictures but i can't figure out how to put them on here.. help?

to post a picture you first need to upload your pictures onto a photo hosting website like photobucket or imageshack and then post the

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back