Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crazyforcordoras

CLASH OF CLANS!!!!
Reaction score
Hey all, getting a new planted tank and i am going to put a school of dwarf rainbows in there. I like spotted blue eyes the best. Are they easy to care for? Has anyone had any experience with them? Tanks :good:

Pseudomugil gertrudae? I used to keep them: they're not picky about anything, so easy to care for. I kept them in a 1 ft and a 4 ft tank, but I think that they would do better in a 1.5-2 ft tank. I strongly recommend a mixed-sex group of at least 10 individuals. The following page pretty much sums up most things that you need to know about them: http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Gertrud.htm

Yep those are them. I read on a site you can keep them in 5 gallons. Is this correct?

Thanks!

I read on a site you can keep them in 5 gallons. Is this correct?
No, that is not correct: it is possible to keep them in a 30*25*25 cm tank (which happens to be 5 gallons), but it is a bad idea to keep them in a shorter tank (which can also be a 5 gallon) because they are moderately active and need the space to swim. As I said previously, my own experience is that they would do better in a 45-60 cm tank as opposed to a 30 cm tank.

Oh, are there any other small rainbows i could fit in a 5 gallon? Celebes, fork tail blue eyes,? If not then i will get dwarf pencilfish

Oh, are there any other small rainbows i could fit in a 5 gallon? Celebes, fork tail blue eyes,? If not then i will get dwarf pencilfish

Celebes are definitely out of the question I would have thought, these grow bigger than Pseudomugil gurtrudae or furcata.

My experiences with pencilfish are very limited, I have had 6 tank bred Nannostomus beckfordi for about two months. These have been kept in my squat 130l Aqua One 620T (~60x40x55cm) with no other fish, but the tank is acting as a temporary plant nursery to my Anubias (some is attached to floating PVC pipes that break up the water surface). The dominant male is very boisterous for such a small ~3cm SL fish, at times he chases the other male relentlessly and to a lesser extent the four females. Consequently, I'm very close to moving the group to my 48x12x15, to give the group more space to roam and hopefully escape the dominant male!

Oh, are there any other small rainbows i could fit in a 5 gallon? Celebes, fork tail blue eyes,?
What are the dimensions of your tank? Half my point was that it is not possible to say that this or that fish fits into a 5 gallon tank without knowing the dimensions of the 5 gallon tank. A 40*25*20 cm 5 gallon will take quite different fish from a 30*25*25 cm 5 gallon, which is again very different from a 5 gallon bowl.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back