Sponge Filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jayaonline

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 20g long aquarium with a standard filter. I want to swap the standard filter for a sponge filter to help my molly fry to survive.

My aquarium is also planted so would I need a power head?

Has anyone got any advice or recommend a sponge filter for a 20g aquarium?

Thanks

What, exactly, is the problem with your fry and your current filter?

I thought so....

Healthy fish, even fry, should be able to swim away from a filter, so I suggest you check your water first.

The trouble with switching to a sponge filter is that, unless you fishlessly cycle it in another container, it won't build up mach of a bacterial colony so, when you remove the current filter, you'll be left with an uncycled tank.

I would, instead, look at covering the intake with a piece of coarse filter sponge or some netting.

I have also had fry sucked up in the past, and I'm thinking of getting a piece of sponge about an inch and half thick and wrapping round and stapling together. It's a small canister filter in a 31 litre breeding tank.

I don't know whether this will work or not. It's another one of my hair-brained ideas.
smile.png

why not just cut up a pair of tights or a stocking and cover the filter,  put the suction cups on the outside though

why not just cut up a pair of tights or a stocking and cover the filter,  put the suction cups on the outside though

Because I'm trying to create some distance between the filter inlet and the fry, and secondly spread the "pull" of the filter over I wider area throughout the sponge. Don't know if it will work though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back