Spirulina Algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jimbooo

James flexton
Reaction score
it just occured to me that we feed our plecs etc spirulina algae in the form of algae wafers etc...

if a person was to overfeed with them and end up with leftovers in the tank will the spirulina algae start to grow in the tank.

i'm 99.9% sure the answer is no but

WHY?

jimboo dont all tanks have algae or some sort of algal spores present already ? and its just the matter of wheather it will grow or not ?

it just occured to me that we feed our plecs etc spirulina algae in the form of algae wafers etc...

if a person was to overfeed with them and end up with leftovers in the tank will the spirulina algae start to grow in the tank.

i'm 99.9% sure the answer is no but

WHY?
I think perhaps it's a bit like say having an apple pie. If I leave the leftover pie it isn't going to grow into an apple tree :lol: Basically I think the processes these foodstuff undergo, will prevent them from becoming active algae.

I might be completely wrong, but it's a guess :dunno:

:fun: love the apple pie analagy :hyper:

i've spent hours looking for pics of spirulina algae in the hope it would look like something recognisable. all i get is microscopic pics of the helix.

i'm sure it's more than dead at the point of packaging. i'm having a quiet day at work.

can you tell? :fun:

i'm having a quiet day at work.
can you tell? :fun:

I love those days... I'm having one right now. I cant think of all the hours I mindlessly wasted looking up fish stuff. lol.

I would think that the algae would be more dead than anything when it's packaged. I don't know of any algae that can live out of water. But who knows. I know the package i get says to take out any un-eaten discs after 24 hours, but I never did that.

I hope its dead.........i think its a type of bga :huh:

But how do we explain Cladophora, the algae balls that people put in their tanks (some think they are moss balls) how come they dont spread, i dont know what type or family of algae they belong to but i do know they grow really slowly so will hardly take over a tank overnight, another curiousity i guess.

But how do we explain Cladophora, the algae balls that people put in their tanks (some think they are moss balls) how come they dont spread, i dont know what type or family of algae they belong to but i do know they grow really slowly so will hardly take over a tank overnight, another curiousity i guess.

are those things dem marimo balls ? they are algae ? hehehe :fun:

are those things dem marimo balls ? they are algae ? hehehe :fun:

Yes the same thing............its ironic

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back