Spinning Fish ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fidjet2

Fishaholic
Reaction score
:sad: i just put one of my fish out of its misery, which i am so sad about.
It couldn't stop spinning unless it was on the ground upside down, then it just stayed still for about 10 mins so i put it out of its misery :no: what could have caused it, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20 ph- 8-8.2 as always

what could have happened and are my other fish at risk? :-(

If it is whirling disease it would be really bad news! And yes, you did the right thing! Keep a close eye on your other fish, it is a contagious bacterial disease!

:-( if any of my other fish get it, will i have to do the same thing?? :no: or is there a cure for it?

:-( if any of my other fish get it, will i have to do the same thing?? :no: or is there a cure for it?
Spinning is a sign of head trauma. Your fish could have injured his head, he could have gotten poisoned by plastics (like the plastic from garden hoses), bacterial blooms or bacterial infections, fungal infections (spores) or parasitic!

The recommended treatment is to remove the fish from the water...

Even though your other fish seem fine, I would do daily water changes, if not twice daily which would remove anything that could be in your water. Think about if there is anything that could leak toxins (chemicals, metals) in your water and remove that. There also was a recommendation to remove any plants that could have absorbed toxins and are slowly leaking them back into the water.

With any luck your fish may have just unfortunately injured his head! :sad:

Maybe someone who has dealt with this kind of problem before will come by and be able to advise you better! Good luck!

:-( i have dwarf grass hair and a medium driftwood with a plant on it. i will do a water change in the morning and one before dark and see how they go. will my fish be alright with no plants in the tank? also, would the driftwood hold toxins??

:-( i have dwarf grass hair and a medium driftwood with a plant on it. i will do a water change in the morning and one before dark and see how they go. will my fish be alright with no plants in the tank? also, would the driftwood hold toxins??
I should have asked before, but how long have you had your fish? Have you added anything new to your tank recently? Any changes recently that could have introduced something to your tank?

Wood is porous, it could absorb stuff and release it slowly back into the water. You did not wash it with any chemicals or soaps, did you?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back