Spider Plant Emergent Above Betta Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DWC

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I seem to have an overly green thumb with spider plants (chlorophytum sp.) and I am overrun with them. My other great love is bettas. I house single male bettas each in 10 gallon sponge filtered, heated aquarium currently heavily planted with Java Ferns, Java Moss, Marino Moss balls, Anubias nana and floating duckweed. A couple of tanks have floating Water Sprite but it hasn't taken off as I had hoped. I perform a 30+% water change weekly. I was hoping to "plant" a spider or two in each betta tank by cutting a hole in the plastic strip along the back of my glass cover and dangling just the roots into the tank, the plant itself still above the cover. My water parameters are pH 7, temp 78-80F (water), weekly test of water before water change always yields ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate

Sorry post cut off.

Nitrate <10.

Thanks for your input. Not worried whether spider plants will flourish or not as long as bettas are not adversely affected.

David

Spider plants are not aquatic so whilst it may initially look nice the plant will eventually die and possibly pollute the water as plain water cannot sustain them indefinitely, your tanks sound lovely BTW 
smile.png

Spiders wouldn't last with roots dangling in water? I realized that I couldn't have plant in tank but hoped that I could mimic a hydroponic setup with just roots dangling in. Thanks for your insight.

I wouldn't have thought so, you could try it and see but I don't think it will survive as the roots need to breathe as it is a terrestrial plant and there wouldn't be enough nutrients in the water to sustain it long term, that is just my thoughts I haven't tried to do it, it might be worth a try, keep us updated if you do would be interested to find out 
yes.gif

Many house plants will do fine in a glass of water.  I did a google search and did find pictures of spider plants growing in a glass of water, no soil.  So it  should do well assuming there are enough nutrients in the water and lighting is adequate.  As long as you are not using very soft, RO, or distrilled water there should be enough in the water.  I have not done what you are proposing but I don't see anything that will harm your fish.  The plant will help remove excess nutrients in the water (N, P, K, rion, calcium, and magnesium and others).

Hi, my mom got a spider plant in college now we have about 200 of them, I have three baby spider plants tied up on top of my betta Jupiter’s vase and have had them for little under a month and change the water every weekend and they both seem happy as every!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back