Species only tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

9darlingcalvi

Reaction score
Would a Kuhli loach or dwarf anchor catfish be a unique stocking for a 10 gallon? Like only 1 species. Any other ideas? Maybe Pygmy cories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kuhli loaches can grow up to 4 inches so i would say they get to big for a ten gallon. pygmy corys might be cool though

What are the dimensions of the tank? Is your water hard or soft?

It’s a basic 10 gallon and I haven’t set it up yet

It’s a basic 10 gallon and I haven’t set it up yet

A lot of members here aren't in the US (I'm in the UK, so we don't even have the same idea of what a gallon is!), so 'basic ten gallon' doesn't mean anything to us :/ Can you please post the dimensions?

You can find out the pH and hardness of your water on your supplier's website.

It would be foolish of us to start discussing species when we don't know the size of the tank or what sort of water you have...

20” x 11” x 13” (LxWxH) and I can alter the water to the species need

A lot of members here aren't in the US (I'm in the UK, so we don't even have the same idea of what a gallon is!), so 'basic ten gallon' doesn't mean anything to us

You can simply google converting gallons to litres. I assume Americans are referring to the US Gallon so 10 gallons would be about 38 Litres

I used the tank measurements on this site: http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

And if filled to the top it can hold 12.4 US gallons approx 46.9 Litres

You can simply google converting gallons to litres. I assume Americans are referring to the US Gallon so 10 gallons would be about 38 Litres

I used the tank measurements on this site: http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

And if filled to the top it can hold 12.4 US gallons approx 46.9 Litres

I know how to convert gallons to litres; and we have a calculator on this site too; http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm (actually ours is better, because it has unit converters included, plus useful things like how much ammonia to add for a fishless cycle ;) )

I was really just trying to make the point that it's a lot easier if the person who actually owns the tank posts the measurements in the first place so we know exactly what we're dealing with, rather than us running round trying to convert and guesstimate

Different manufacturers calculate volumes in different ways, so it's much easier, for everyone, if we can have exact dimensions and work from those.

It is great; shame it's hidden away in a drop down menu (in the 'How To Tips'); it's been here longer than I have, so I have no idea who made it :)

Aaanyway... back on topic ;)

20” x 11” x 13” (LxWxH) and I can alter the water to the species need

Thanks for the dimensions, that's a big help. I know you can change the water, but it's must easier not to have to, and with adjusted water, there's always a risk of fluctuating parameters, which is very bad for fish.

If you could find out and post the details of your water, it will at least give us some starting point :)

Also; what kind of fish do you like? Do you have a favourite colour? From how far away will you mostly be viewing the tank? Is there anything you know you don't want?

With a species tank, you have a lot more choices than with a community, because you don't have to worry about compatibility, so if we have some idea of what you like and want, we can make much better suggestions :)

I like ghost shrimp and moth catfish.

Here is the water

IMG_0479.JPG

The information we need is right down at the bottom:
Total Hardness 17.118.

But I an not sure if the Grains per gallon refers to that figure or the parameters with * in the table above it. The text is a bit small to see clearly.

If it is 17.118 grains per gallon, that converts to 16 German degrees, aka dH; and 293 ppm. These are the two units used in fish keeping.

The information we need is right down at the bottom:
Total Hardness 17.118.

But I an not sure if the Grains per gallon refers to that figure or the parameters with * in the table above it. The text is a bit small to see clearly.

If it is 17.118 grains per gallon, that converts to 16 German degrees, aka dH; and 293 ppm. These are the two units used in fish keeping.

It is per gallon and I don’t think moth catfish would work

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back