🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

endilliteracy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Common Name/s: South American Bumblebee Catfish

Specific Name: Microglanis iheringi

Origin: South America

Maximum Size: 3"

Care: This catfish should be kept in a temperature between 22-26 degrees C (72-77 degrees F). The PH should be anywhere from 6 - 7.5 . This catfish should have a completely dark cave, they prefer wood to stone, but even a long black piece of PVC pipe would work well. Lots of vegetation like large Amazon swords should be provided. Lots of hiding places or narrow cracks or holes should also be provided. They are not aggressive and peaceful with it's own and other species. This fish would do well in a community tank.

Feeding: This catfish is a omnivore. It is not a fussy eater and will probably eat any type of prepared food, although brine shrimp and blood worms appear to be a special favorite.

Sexing and Breeding: Sexing is unknown. Breeding is difficult and reported successful only with experts.

Comments: Although this catfish hides during most of the day, it is a great addition to 15 gallon or larger aquarium. I find that my bumblebee catfish loves dried Blood Worms and will even come out of his cave and dart to the top to grab a mouthful! He is quite an amazing catfish.

bumblebeetuna2.jpg

bumblebeetuna.jpg

An aditional Note:

Bumblebee's are not ideal community fish, they are predatory and will take smaller fish and inverts.

They are also very, very hardy.

An aditional Note:

Bumblebee's are not ideal community fish, they are predatory and will take smaller fish and inverts.

They are also very, very hardy.

There is also a difference between south american bumblebee cats and asian bumblebee cats.
SA cats are omnivores and Asian cats are carnivore. SA cats are not predators by nature but will eat anything that will fit in its mouth. Asian cats are predatory and will go after your smaller fish. I have both kinds in different tanks because of there natures. 1 SA in a community tank with no problems. 1 Asian in another tank with larger Gouramis.

They are very peaceful fish has never bothered my other fish, will watch my bettas eat from a distance b4 her turn to eat, I don't see them that often but its worth it when u see them. Very shy and nocturnal.

Hard to take a picture of them. If they're not hiding, they're always on the move. Their my favourite catfish, I think their very cute :D

Got better pics than the last one I posted

Front View
zone12.jpg

Side View
SDC12012.jpg

Back View
zone13.jpg

Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMW00h1Zgkg

I have a SA bumblebee catfish he gets along great with all my other fish he is my favourite type of catfish :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back