Something nasty in my water!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Deano

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Over the last few days i have noticed that there is thousands of white particles in my aquarium water. It kinda looks like tiny white dust particles.

Any ideas as to what this could be?????

kind of a dumb question, but it isnt air bubbles is it? if you over airate your tank it can cause it to look cloudy with billions of tiny white air bubbles. (this happened to my tank). thats my only guess. i dunno about anything else. sorry! :dunno: :thumbs:

I was told that a few days ago so i tried leaving the air stone off 4 a day but the water was still the same

Hmmm, never heard this one. If you do a water change does it look better and how long does it take to come back? Is it on any decorations or plants?

Didnt look any better after a water change. Doesnt seem to settle on nethin...just seems to float around in the water. Maybe it is just air bubbles??

Do you have anything else running other than ytour airstone? If not, then when you turned off the airstone, the bubbles would be gone in a couple seconds.

I at first thought it was airbubbles but you had already replied it wasn't.

Nothing else is running apart from the airstone. Its kinda making the water look cloudy

Are you speaking of a bacteria bloom?

Do you have a filter? You need a filter that has biological and mechanical filtration.

dont think its that. Have got a filter and all the neccessaries

There is a possiblity it may be ich. My tank is recovering at the moment. Not only was there little white bubbly looking things on the fish, but also floating in the water. At first I thought they were tiny bubbles, but the fish were covered with it.
Inspect your fish very closely. What do you see?

Could just be an accumulation of small particles of uneaten food, decomposing organic matter...etc that are too small to be trapped by your regular filter media. You could try getting one of those micro filter insert pads and see if that helps. If this helps, it may just mean that you might need more water circulation in your tank. Adding a small powerhead will help things stay suspended longer and get sucked up by your filter and not settle on the tank floor.

I dont think its the same as what the person described on the link as my fish have not got anything on them and they seem just as happy as usual so i dont think the white particles are affecting them.

I think i might take a water sample to my lfs and see what they say.

silly question...do you have any plecs in there, do you feed them on sinking algae tablets....

I came home one day to find lots of white specks covining all my bog wood and floating in the water..i hastily did a water change but couldn't seem to shift them...after a day or so they vanished...so i thouhgt nothing of it

then a few days later I added another tablet to the aquarium for my plec, but it started to disolve into lots of tiny particles and once again my bogwood was covered...this was the source of my problem and it was all getting eaten up by my plec and others....could this be your problem?

Thats a thought i have got a plec and i do feed him catfish pellets so that could be the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back