Something different about this type of guppy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

coolfishfan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Over the years, I have kept many types of guppies and successfully bred them. Normally the fry are very healthy and on an average so far 80 percent of the overall fry population have reached the adult stage.

I don't know what's so strange about the Full Red Guppies(have attached a picture of this type), I am able to breed them successfully but the fry don't really survive more than 10 days. Only 5 percent of them really reach the adult stage.

Is there anything that I need to do differently about caring for this fry family.

Thanks.

Full-Red-guppy.jpg

very cool.

it could be down to genetics and a very weak gene-pool. have you tried introducing another fish of a different color as it will bring in stronger genes. i understand that it might blemish the coloration but i might work.

The more line bred/inbred the fish are the more the fry begin to show genetic defects. I would introduce a similar colored strain or even try finding a different stock of that variation and breed them with yours.

I have tried to breed them with similar color partners of other breed. The resulting color was same, but the eyes were black. And this guppy pattern has everything red including eyes.

In my locality there is no supply of any live food.

I feed my guppies Hikari Fancy Guppy for adults and Hikari First Bites for fry.

I have observed that the fry start to die once I start feeding them.

Maybe I need to change food(not live) for the fry to survive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back