Some Newbie no-nos

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
thx for the tips lucky i haven't broken any of those rules and someone wrote not to believe everything on the net thats why its important to always have at least 2 sources or proof for your research

Just like to add:

Don't take a forum members advice as gospel just because their post count is 10x higher than yours.....it's not hard to rack up your post count with non-fish related stuff or by replying to posts with a smiley ;)

Just like to add:

Don't take a forum members advice as gospel just because their post count is 10x higher than yours.....it's not hard to rack up your post count with non-fish related stuff or by replying to posts with a smiley ;)

Agreed, there is a lot of false and iffy info on this thread.

Just like to add:

Agreed, there is a lot of false and iffy info on this thread.

or of course quoting everything when your wide awake after sleeping an hour the night before,waking up,and can't sleep..end up postwhoring..

and i know folks on car forums with 2000+ posts that think Bosch (a german spark plug company) is the oem for Nissan (Japanese company that uses ngk for freaking everything)

Before fish and fish forums my main hobby has been drift cars and automotive work..lol. hard to keep out a reference somewhere.. atleast i'm handy with a wrench...where as i have broke more rules in fishkeeping in 3 months as i have with a wrench in three years lol

Hey everyone! This thread is really great as well as confusing!
I am cycling my 90gallon tank with feeder fish, I have a fluval 406 that has a GPH of I believe 383. I've got the heater that is rated for my tank size digital taboot! Gravel, plastic plants, castle and two bridges. I'm on day two. I'm having as much restraint as I can, 6-8 weeks is a doozy! Anyways, I'm hoping for stocking tips. As well as any other tank necessities I should have. I really like cichlids. Jack Dempseys or oscars. Anything that will get large and brightly colored.
I also bought a light for my tank and I am getting very frustrated. Hubs broke the light that the tank came with so I went out and bought a new one, a Glo T50 HO single light high output. Well I brought it home and opened it only to realize I needed to go get a bulb. Back to the store I go
no.gif
Pick up a new bulb and install it to the best of my lightbulb knowledge. Now the dang thing doesn't light up
Dunno.gif
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a special trick to flourescent bulbs? Certainly not the problems I was expecting. Anyways, any tips, advice or kicks in the pants welcome.

Hey Shari, I recommend you post about your light system in the Hardware and Do-It-Yourself, the folks over there should be able to help you out :good:

Secondly, if you like SA cichlids I recommend you post about stocking in that section of the forum: New World Cichlids. The guys who frequent that part of the forum come up with some fantastic stocking ideas :good: I'm sure they'll be able to give you some great ideas to get your 90 gal going! :)

Alien Anna said:
12. Don't put salt with corys, plecos or loaches as it'll burn their skin.

Does that include aquarium salt?  I have a tank with 2 kuhli loaches that I like to put few tablespoons in whenever I do a water change.  Up until now I never knew there was an issue with it and it didn't appear to ever have any harmful side effects.

Gootz said:

Does that include aquarium salt?  I have a tank with 2 kuhli loaches that I like to put few tablespoons in whenever I do a water change.  Up until now I never knew there was an issue with it and it didn't appear to ever have any harmful side effects.
Yes, it does include aquarium salt.

You really don't need to use it. It was commonly used in 'the old days', as it counteracts a lot of the problems that were common then, mostly related to poor filtration and inadequate water changes.

fluttermoth said:

Yes, it does include aquarium salt.

You really don't need to use it. It was commonly used in 'the old days', as it counteracts a lot of the problems that were common then, mostly related to poor filtration and inadequate water changes.

Good to know!  I will stop adding that now and just stick to the water conditioner.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back