Sodium Thiosulphate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi Bodge99
came through the post today so attempted my first batch wanted to run it past you (AGAIN SORRY) just to make double sure that its correct.

i've gone with a 500ml stock solution
each dose being 5ml treating 10 liters per time
chlorine at 2ppm
7.011g

that correct?

Many Thanks once again
Stimo

Hello,

Yes, spot on..

Don't forget.. discard unused dechlorinator after 6 months and make up fresh..

Bodge99.

yes will do that thanks

200g of that stuff is going to last a mighty long time i think

thanks.gif

Hi Bodge
came across this

The big difference is the removal of ammonia which Sodium Thiosulfate does not. It's necessary if your water has chloramines and not chlorine. Sodium thiosulfate changes chloramines into chlorine (which is neutralizes) and AMMONIA. So if your tap water has chloramines (need to call your water company for this info), you also need to use a little bit of ammonia remover, such as Interpret, or API's ammo lock.

Is this something i should be concerned about?

Stimo

Hello,

Yes, It's true that the breakdown of chloramines produces ammonia.. however the amounts are very small.. I understand that the amount is a couple or orders of magnitude smaller than the ammonia produced by the fish themselves..

A cycled tank has the biological mechanisms established to rapidly eliminate ammonia...

If you have any doubts, then by all means use some form of ammonia remover.. if only for "peace of mind".

I personally am of the opinion that adequate biological removal is a better thing to aim for.. This is why I "over filter", a larger volume of "colonisable" material can respond more rapidly to any changing tank conditions.

Just my 2p worth..

Bodge99

bodge99 said:
Hello,

Yes, It's true that the breakdown of chloramines produces ammonia.. however the amounts are very small.. I understand that the amount is a couple or orders of magnitude smaller than the ammonia produced by the fish themselves..

A cycled tank has the biological mechanisms established to rapidly eliminate ammonia...

If you have any doubts, then by all means use some form of ammonia remover.. if only for "peace of mind".

I personally am of the opinion that adequate biological removal is a better thing to aim for.. This is why I "over filter", a larger volume of "colonisable" material can respond more rapidly to any changing tank conditions.

Just my 2p worth..

Bodge99

ok
well if you've not had a problem then that's good enough for me.
my tank is pretty well filtered so should be okm then.
done my first ever change yesterday with the thiosulphate and everything seems fine

Stimo

Most reactions

trending

Back