So Many Questions

Blondielovesfish said:

So hello everyone, merry christmas!

The day is comming and as I've been anouncing, i'm getting a new tank for christmas.
It's going to be a 13 or so gallon, with heater and filter. Light maybe if it fits the budget.
I'll be putting only a betta in there for now and getting some more fish in the future.
I have no place in my budget for a test kit. My question is, can i cycle the tank without a test kit?
And if so, how?
Thank you.
Hi

Slightly off point - I've been reading up on Bettas as I want one myself - from everything I've read they're territorial so it'd be better to get other fish first then introduce the Betta or the Betta might view all new fish as a threat and attack.

There is the possibility of this happening, however if the OP rearranges the tank, takes the betta out, adds the fish and then the betta, there shouldn't be any problems. If there are, they should quickly die down.

P.S you should definitely get a betta, they are wonderful fish that have big personalities! I love my little guy, Zeus.

Good to know - Thanks

I've just started cycling a new tank and a Betta is on my fish-list to get but he'll likely be the last going in.

argoma said:

I would advise getting a master test kit, which are normally around £20-£30 on eBay (thats how much i got mine for (i live in UK)) these give you tests for PH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate- i think thats it?! and they last for ages, it took quite a while for me to do my fishless cycle and i still have a lot of drops left for when i need to check my water quality. LFS will test your water for you, but you will need to measure your parameters daily, so i would advise to get a master kit. A fishless cycle is also the method i would personally recommend however you can do what you choose.
smile.png

I was planning on a fishless cycle anyway. Now here's a question, how does Nutrafin Cycle work? I've read about it but I can't really understand if I can put fish in the tank right away or if I have to wait a couple of days or weeks.

It really doesn't.  If you are planning on a fishless cycle, you are far better off spending the money on the ammonia and nitrite kits rather than Cycle.  Its NOT what it claims to be.  It is NOT the bacteria that you are trying to cultivate through the fishless cycling process.  It is NOT a shortcut, and won't help your situation long term.  Having an ammonia kit and nitrite kit around for testing even after your cycle is over is a much better investment.
argoma said:
Okay so here's my solution, I may be able to buy a test kit with only ammonia and nitrite. If I am, my question is, how often do you need to change a 13 gallon tank once it's cycled?

25% s mentioned is a good starting point.  I'd suggest 25% weekly, 50% monthly and 75% semiannually.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back