So Many Questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So hello everyone, merry christmas!

The day is comming and as I've been anouncing, i'm getting a new tank for christmas.
It's going to be a 13 or so gallon, with heater and filter. Light maybe if it fits the budget.
I'll be putting only a betta in there for now and getting some more fish in the future.
I have no place in my budget for a test kit. My question is, can i cycle the tank without a test kit?
And if so, how?
Thank you.

a test kit is a necessity if you want to easily and properly cycle a tank.  It's about $20 here in the states.  

Fishmanic said:
a test kit is a necessity if you want to easily and properly cycle a tank.  It's about $20 here in the states.  

it's 40€ minimum here

Blondielovesfish said:
Will your LFS test your water for you?
A lot of shops will test your water free or charge a tiny fee. Realistically more tanks are done without testing wich is why more starter tanks end up having problems. I've only ever done fish in cycles starting of with low stock low feeding and lots of water changes. But this isn't the best way.

I would advise getting a master test kit, which are normally around £20-£30 on eBay (thats how much i got mine for (i live in UK)) these give you tests for PH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate- i think thats it?! and they last for ages, it took quite a while for me to do my fishless cycle and i still have a lot of drops left for when i need to check my water quality. LFS will test your water for you, but you will need to measure your parameters daily, so i would advise to get a master kit. A fishless cycle is also the method i would personally recommend however you can do what you choose. :)

The only two test kits essential for cycling are the ammonia and the nitrite ones- you can have your pH and KH tested initially at the store. Unless you run into problems with the cycle stalling. If you follow the directions here and do not deviate, the cycle can only stall if the pH and/or KH drops drops big time. This is not common. You can not overdo anything if you follow the directions.

You don't mention brand. there are two different scales used to measure ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and the directions here are based on the API type kits. The will not sat the measure Ammonia-nitrogen (or -n) and the same for nitrite and nitrate. If your kits measure in -nitrogrn(-N), shoot me a PM and I wll send you the adjusted numbers to work with these type kits. They are not the ones most commonly found however.

If you really have no money for a test kit, you could get a Seachem ammonia alert and base your cycling on it.
Be warry tho as some of those are faulty sometimes.
I got one which would stay on the alert level even tho if I tested water with my API, I had 0 ammonia.

It's always good to double check!

In any case, you get this, stick it in your tank, and once you are at 0 ammonia in 24 hours. You should be good to go, of course I advise taking your water to the lfs and ask them to test and give you the numbers for your results.

The thing costs about 6$

In any case, nobody should be without a test kit!

there are lots of bad reviews on amazon for that seachem alert device---and it doesn't test for nitrites which is just as important to test for if you are trying to cycle your tank----best to buy a good liquid test kit like the API test kit to properly test during cycling

Okay so here's my solution, I may be able to buy a test kit with only ammonia and nitrite. If I am, my question is, how often do you need to change a 13 gallon tank once it's cycled?

Most do a minimum of 25% W/C each week. I do hope you can get your hands on the ammonia & nitrite tests
smile.png
 Merry Christmas!

The SeaChem Ammonia alert measure NH3 which is the toxic form of ammonia. You would have to work backwards from NH3 using pH and temp to determine total ammonia as read by an API kit. The Ammonia alert also is not quick to react to changes in levels. It is a great device for protecting the tank inhabitants, it is not real helpful for cycling.

SeaChem also make an ammonia kit that will measure both total ammonia and NH3 only.

EthanF said:
I would advise getting a master test kit, which are normally around £20-£30 on eBay (thats how much i got mine for (i live in UK)) these give you tests for PH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate- i think thats it?! and they last for ages, it took quite a while for me to do my fishless cycle and i still have a lot of drops left for when i need to check my water quality. LFS will test your water for you, but you will need to measure your parameters daily, so i would advise to get a master kit. A fishless cycle is also the method i would personally recommend however you can do what you choose.
smile.png

I was planning on a fishless cycle anyway. Now here's a question, how does Nutrafin Cycle work? I've read about it but I can't really understand if I can put fish in the tank right away or if I have to wait a couple of days or weeks.

argoma said:

The day is comming and as I've been anouncing, i'm getting a new tank for christmas.
It's going to be a 13 or so gallon, with heater and filter. Light maybe if it fits the budget.
I'll be putting only a betta in there for now and getting some more fish in the future.
I have no place in my budget for a test kit. My question is, can i cycle the tank without a test kit?
And if so, how?
Thank you.
Hi

Slightly off point - I've been reading up on Bettas as I want one myself - from everything I've read they're territorial so it'd be better to get other fish first then introduce the Betta or the Betta might view all new fish as a threat and attack.

Meep said:

And if so, how?
Thank you.
Hi

Slightly off point - I've been reading up on Bettas as I want one myself - from everything I've read they're territorial so it'd be better to get other fish first then introduce the Betta or the Betta might view all new fish as a threat and attack.

There is the possibility of this happening, however if the OP rearranges the tank, takes the betta out, adds the fish and then the betta, there shouldn't be any problems. If there are, they should quickly die down.

P.S you should definitely get a betta, they are wonderful fish that have big personalities! I love my little guy, Zeus.

Most reactions

trending

Back