So I tried putting cucumber in my tank...please help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Trey Stamm

Reaction score
I tried putting cucumber in the fish tank for my oto catfish, I made sure it would sink, however I ran into an issue and Im worried my oto will die now.

Basically when I placed the cucumber in the tank it started sinking, but then the current from the filter pushed the cucumber and it got caught in the current, turning it into a solid tornado of destruction. My otocinclus, instead of eating it, began freaking out because it just kept spinning and only stopped after I turned off the filter. I had no choice but to remove the cucumber slice, but I think I overstressed him to an exponential degree.

Someone please help!

When I put a piece of a vegetable into the tank, I attach it to a fork, and with a long grasping type tool, I gently lower it to the bottom of the tank. Be sure to remove the piece of vegetable within a few hours if not fully eaten.

Agreed, anything stainless steel to weigh it down. Incidentally, he will likely be much less skittish if he has more of the same species with him, as ottocinclus are schooling fish, and prefer to be in groups.

How strong is the current?

I use a fork to weigh down veggies.

I use a wooden skewer (think kebabs) and "plant" the stick.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back