Snake skin gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Erica27

Reaction score
hello I was wondering if I could keep some snake skin gouramis in my 70 gallon community tank. I have 2 rainbow fish, 2 angle fish, 2 platies, 3 Cory’s, one bristle nose Pleco, 2 high fin blue German rams, 2 Apistogrammas, and one pearl gourami. I was wondering if they would eat any of my other fish!

Your aquarium sounds like it would be fully stocked, if not overstocked, after you Increase the schooling fish
(Rainbowfish, cories, Platies) to the recommended minimum of six of the same species.
In addition, the snakeskin may well eat the Platies, if the angelfish don't do so upon reaching their full size.

This present thread is basically the same issue as your earlier also entitled "snake skin gourami," here:
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/snake-skin-gourami.450278/unread

It would be best to keep this topic together in one thread so everyone sees what others have said, and you end up with better advice. You could PM a moderator to combine them.

To the issue itself, I agree you are at the limit now, as the shoaling species need more of them, and the snake skin gourami gets too large for comfort in a 70g.

Is this the same 70/ 40 gallon tank as the other post?

Rainbowfish need to be kept in groups of 6 or more (8-10) is a great number in an aquarium. Corydoras like to be in groups of 6 or more too if possible.

Watch the rams and Apistogrammas. Have a cave and some rocks and plants at each end of the tank and hopefully each species will stay at their own end.

Snakeskin gouramis will not eat any of the fish you listed but there could be fights between the pearl gourami and the snakeskins. As a general rule you only keep 1 species of labyrinth (Betta and gourami) per tank because they are all territorial to some degree and even tho pearl and snakeskins are relatively peaceful, they should be kept in separate tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back