Snails, snails, snails, snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mickdee66

Reaction score
:/ Hi all! I've got a 55 gal acrylic tank that is doing great. I've had it up and going for 2 months now. I've been using DIY CO2 injection to boost my plant growth and it is working very well. As many of you know, with beautiful plants come their little tag along friends "snails". Now in moderation, snails are not a problem. In fact they quite fascinating to watch when they are crusing up the side of the tank, but they are getting out of hand now. The little suckers are everywhere! :eek: Last week I purchased a Clown loach because I've read that they along with their cousin the Zebra loach are great snail eaters. Well, since adding him to the tank, I've only seen him 3 times and he spends most of his time hiding under a rock. I guess I expected him to start chowing down on all the snails but that doesn't seem to be the case that I can see. "Well now to the point." Does anyone have a good idea besides hand picking? I've been doing that with minimal success. Thanks!!!!

From what I have been told Clowns are better kept in groups or at least pairs. They also like to be able to see other fish swimming around to let them know it is safe to come out.

It may be that he is a bit shy being on his own so adding a couple more might help him come out of his shell :)

It might also be that he is getting used to his new surroundings and is just taking some time to settle in.

HTH, Eddie

Thanks Eddie,
I think I'll pickup a couple more this week. I have many other fish but he probably would like a couple of his own kind to hang out with.

Had a quick hunt around and came across this comment on Clowns:

"They ... do not like to be alone. For example you have a community tank where there are fish of all different types but you only have one Clown Loach in the whole tank. It will then become lonely which causes stress, which causes their health to drop. So always make sure the Clown Loach has at least one or two friends around."

You might also want to think about adding a hollow log or tube as apparently they like to hang around inside with their noses sticking out watching everything go past.

I am getting Clown (and possibly Zebra) loaches in my next tank so any updates on him would be very helpful.

Cheers, Eddie

Yep Eddie's right, they do prefer some company though I'd have suggested at least 4, but be aware that they can grow upto 12".

You will see more of them in a group and they are very entertaining B) . They will eat snails but with a ready supply of flake/pellets/waffers like you and me are more likly to go for the easy option ;)

As far as getting rid of snails - if you place one saucer on top of another with a some food in it and propped apart just enough to allow the snails in. Do this last thing at night before lights out and in the morning it should be full of snails - just lift it out :thumbs:

hth

:)

Although WWW's saucer trick is a good one it only works if you have no nocturnal fish,if you do the fish get to the food first and eat the lot :lol: :lol:.Banjo catfish are good snail eaters and some species of pufferfish are as well although im not sure which ones.But im afraid to say the only sure remedy is to keep on taking them out by hand or with a syphon as and when you see them :(

:nod: I also had a problem in my community tank with snails. I went away for a couple of weeks and came back to find my tank covered with the little buggers. I went and bought 4 clown loaches (little itsy ones - just over 1") and my snail problem has vanished. I still have a few snails, but only the bigger ones that can't be eaten - yet. The baby snails disappear as soon as they appear :) The clowns are in a community tank and seem to be loving it. I've had them just over 6 weeks now and they do a great job. They grow very slowly, so I'm hoping that I will be able to keep them in my 180L for a long long time :nod:

:D Well, I just wanted to update you all on my shy clown loach. Yesterday after work I went to the LFS and picked up two more one inch loaches and put them in the tank. As I mentioned yesterday, since adding the first loach to the tank I've only seen him a couple of times. So when I put the other two fellows in there it was amazing. The first loach came out as if to say "hello" and they have been out and about ever since. I've made another fascinating observation, I have five small Tiger barbs in the tank also and their markings and colors are almost exactly like that of the loachs. The tigers are now spending much of their time down near the bottom of the tank with the clowns. I guess they are a bit confused.
I haven't noticed the loaches eating any snails yet but I'll cut bach just a bit on the food and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks so much for the input. :thumbs:

I've kept puffer fish in their own tank before and they LOVE snails. You can hear them chomping on them. Just a thought if you have the time/tank to spare. Puffers require brackish water (I didn't find that out until I bought them).
-Josh

try selling the snails, you'd be surprised out who will buy them (IE local pet shops and ECT)

Peace,
DPS

I have a dwarf puffer in my freshwater tank, and she does a great job with the snails. She's only and inch long, but she goes after any snail she can find, even ones a little bigger than her. :nod: She loves hunting those snails. :lol:

what have snails got to do with catfish! lol moved because i fell it should not be in catfish cradle! ahem! lol :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back