SNAILS IN CYCLING TANK???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kyt

Reaction score
help!!!

So I'm about two weeks into my fish less cycle to get my betta fish.

I bought live plants and two moss balls... Two weeks pass and I see these blotches..., and they're snails???? there's about 5!!!! I mean what are they? Are they safe? Will they contaminate my betta?

Sorry if my photos aren't. Wet good x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 241
These look very much like common snails.

Likely to have hitchiked into your tank via wither the live plants or the moss.

They are harmless, won't do any harm to livestock and plants usually. I m a fan of snails, they help to clean up detritus, rotting leaves and leftover foods.

But be warned, they can overpopulate the tank fairly quickly, especially if you overfeed the tank once the cycle is completed and livestock in the tank.

If you do not want the snails, simply take them out of the tank, if you're lucky there are only five and no eggs laid.......

I wouldn't mind them being in at all but they've been eating my live plant!! I wondered why there was holes in it. I wanted shrimp not snails lol!! Got some thinking to do don't want to kill a little life

I have common snails in my tanks, they do not eat live plants, they eat rotting or dying leaves. Though its possible certain species of snails could eat healthy leaves.

Holes in plants could be down to several reasons, nutrient deficiency or lighting possible also newly planted plants can melt and regrow again.

If youre unsure which, then simply get rid of the snails, they're not called common snails for nothing :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Back