Snail Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cboatman

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently brought home a plant that apparently had some hitchhiking snails (I think they're bladder snails?) because now I have a whole lot of them. I don't mind having them, since they'll help clean up the tank. My main issue is that I don't have a lot of algae in my tank and am worried that some of them will die from lack of food and pollute my tank. Does anyone have any experience with this? They're not very big so I can't imagine they'll do much damage.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without food, they will naturally die, but unless there are significant other problems in the aquarium, this is not going to make any issue. I have thousands of snails in my larger tanks, and hundreds in the smaller. Mainly Malaysian Livebearing, but I also have pond snails (could be bladder, they look near identical) that came on plants many years back, and I have been glad to see them. I do not overfeed my fish in my 8 tanks, so the snail numbers are there because of the organics. I have found that there are very few large snails, so most of the youngsters seem to die off. I can count for example 700 MLS in one tank, but they are all under 1 cm and only a very few get much larger.

Byron.

Thanks for the information! I'm just guessing on the identity. Most of them are too small right now to have an identifiable shell. I won't worry too much about them then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy snails. I think an aquarium without snails isnt natural or balanced. I cant have too many lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I love snails also, Especially Mystery snails and Malaysian Trumpet snails.

Mystery snails make great pets on their own and cared for in the right way grow quite large.

I have pond, mts, and ramshorn. Ramshorns are my favorite. Even the dreaded ponds that everyone hates; I love. Hardy, prolific, and cheap or often free. Lol. What more can you want.

I got a tiny snail with a couple of otos the day before yesterday, mystery snail?

I would have but I don't think it would show up. It's small, I didn't see it in the bag.

I couldn't see it being a pond snail.

I got pond snails with some fish from my dad, had them in all my tens. I smashed some and netted a bunch everyday to feed oscar and the Guppies.

I hate pond snails. Had a major outbreak from adding non treated plants before. I got overrun. I even had gone down to barely feeding my fish every other day. Took a lot of work to get rid of them. Anyway, two main differences that I noticed between the pond snails and bladder snails(had the bladder snails from some plants at one point.) They look identical in the shell EXCEPT that the shells curve different directions. Also, the bladder snails were easy to get rid of. (One I smashed before plant went in tank. The other I found in tank and smashed and no more showed up. So....luck? Maybe. Lol. Or maybe they don't breed as prolifically as the pond snails.)

How cool are these rabbit snails?
54df0b970154deb593b446455ef147f9.jpg

c9e4247276332b075c7357452dab0365.jpg

Some mts with rcs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back