Snail Is Alive But Hasn't Moved In 6 Days

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

andy36yr19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently bought 2 nerite snails and both of them are in an almost cycled 3.5g tank with a betta. I dont have a heater but I'll get one soon. The temperature is at 72. One of the snails moves and eats on algae from another tank. The other one doesn't do anything but he is alive because I smelled him yesterday. I'm just wondering how many days a snail can go without eating or why it's not moving.

Here is a photo of the snail. It's been in that same position for 6 days now. The gravel looks pink but it's natural looking gravel.

Attachments

• 15533539479718008914654202292990.jpg
    15533539479718008914654202292990.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 498
Here is a photo of the snail. It's been in that same position for 6 days now. The gravel looks pink but it's natural looking gravel.
I was reading up yesterday on my rabbit snail and this is what I found.
Age & Lifespan
Rabbit Snail Lifespan: Under good conditions its likely that a Rabbit Snail’s lifespan can be 1 to 3 years, or maybe longer with a little luck. Also, although a Rabbit Snail is pretty active, its not uncommon for them to rest motionless for long periods of time. When resting, their bodies will be curled up into their shells and their operculum will pulled into their aperture. Just because the Rabbit Snail is not moving on the tank bottom, it does not necessarily mean it is dead or dying.
I added crushed coral to my filter and dropped some wonder shells in my tank and my snail perked right up. I hope the best for yours!

I was reading up yesterday on my rabbit snail and this is what I found.
Age & Lifespan
Rabbit Snail Lifespan: Under good conditions its likely that a Rabbit Snail’s lifespan can be 1 to 3 years, or maybe longer with a little luck. Also, although a Rabbit Snail is pretty active, its not uncommon for them to rest motionless for long periods of time. When resting, their bodies will be curled up into their shells and their operculum will pulled into their aperture. Just because the Rabbit Snail is not moving on the tank bottom, it does not necessarily mean it is dead or dying.
I added crushed coral to my filter and dropped some wonder shells in my tank and my snail perked right up. I hope the best for yours!
Ok thanks. I already had some crushed coral I just need to wait then

When snails don't start moving about a new tank, it is just about always poor water quality or chemicals in the water.

You mention the tank is almost cycled and that would suggest there is possibly nitrite and maybe ammonia in the water and either of these will cause snails to stress and hide, and possibly kill them.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite & pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate today and any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the pH is below 7.0, add some shells, crushed coral, dead coral skeleton, limestone or sandstone. You don't need too much but you want enough to get the pH up to 7.0 or slightly higher.

When snails don't start moving about a new tank, it is just about always poor water quality or chemicals in the water.

You mention the tank is almost cycled and that would suggest there is possibly nitrite and maybe ammonia in the water and either of these will cause snails to stress and hide, and possibly kill them.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite & pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate today and any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the pH is below 7.0, add some shells, crushed coral, dead coral skeleton, limestone or sandstone. You don't need too much but you want enough to get the pH up to 7.0 or slightly higher.
There is some nitrite but no ammonia

I added more coral to my tank last night, some more plants, increased my water by a few more degrees and threw in an algae wafer. Jeremy is so happy now. He's crawling all over the place.

Attachments

• jeremy01.jpg
    jeremy01.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 635
  • jeremy02.jpg
    jeremy02.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 748

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back